44. Heather

The clouds bounced, their misty vapours jerking back and forth in sync with Whiplash's wings as she hovered. Perched on top, Kiara sat leaning forward, itching to dive into action, but frustratingly unable to.

The sky was fair and the afternoon sun was reclining towards the horizon. Three ships floated below with five dragons circling them, like airborne sharks.

"Uurgh! Why would he do this to us?" Kiara exclaimed out of the blue.

"What, exactly?" Whiplash asked, her voice sounding bored in her rider's mind.

"Oh don't pretend you're okay with this! Being told to watch and learn," she muttered, "while they get to have all the fun..."

Whiplash glanced below and saw Toothless dive and fire. She cringed as the memory of Kiara landing on a deck like that resurfaced.

"I'm okay with staying here."

Kiara let out an astounded gasp. "You're on Hiccup's side with this!" she accused. "How can you think we're better as spectators when we could be doing so much more?"

"How about we start small?" Whiplash tried.

"You mean like Hiccup said?" Kiara asked dryly.

Her dragon hesitated. "I guess.."

"Unbelievable!" Kiara threw up her arms then sat with both arms and legs folded like a stubborn child.

"You know you're missing the action." Whiplash teased. "Stormfly just did a dive roll."

Kiara glanced down but was too far to make out much.

"Meatlug just took out a catapult. Wanna see how?"

She grudgingly gave in. "Alright. Let me look," she grumbled.

Whiplash turned her head and gave her rider an expectant look, big eyes blinking. Kaira sighed.

"Can you let me look, please?"

"Since you asked nicely..."

Kiara closed her eyes and reached into her dragon's mind. Darkness was replaced by an explosion of colour as she looked through Whiplash's large pair of eyes. Everything seemed more saturated and well defined. Outlines were ten times sharper and she could make out the details of the ship below.

Ryker had just thrown a net and Hookfang easily avoided it. He barked an order at a girl on his right. She had pitch-dark hair that was set in a single plait and brought around her shoulder and wore smooth armour that glinted like mirrors in the sun. Heather, Kiara recognised her from Astrid's description. She keenly watched Heather nod and jog to a large trap door.

Heather emerged on a stunning dragon with a long arching neck and scales like plates of polished armour. It was Windshear, a 'razorwhip' dragon. Whiplash zeroed in on the dragon's pointed tail.

"Mine's still sharper."

Windshear shot into the air and flew straight, knocking Snotlout off Hookfang with a paw. Kiara stiffened as he fell, but relaxed when the twins caught him. Windshear twirled around and barrelled towards Stormfly. The two fought, dragons and riders, each firing and blasting but missing each other narrowly. It was incredibly obvious, to Kiara and Whiplash, that they were holding back.

Heather was a spy among the hunters. It wasn't Hiccup's idea nor was he comfortable with it but that was how things had worked out. Now, she was the gang's greatest asset, sharing information about the hunters' battle tactics, missions and latest weapons.