In Pieces

[A/N: This was inspired by Ed Sheeran's "Supermarket Flowers." Listening to the song isn't necessary to reading the story. But it will probably enhance the reading of the story. I listened to it the entire time I wrote the story, and I feel like it adds to the emotion.]

Simon

After classes, I head straight to Mummers House. I step into the room, empty like usual, and head to the bathroom for an early shower. I don't bother turning on the lights. I just grab some clean clothes from my dresser and trod to the shower.

I stand in there for a while, soaking up all of the hot water. Baz takes a shower in the mornings, so it's not like he can pick a fight with me just for hogging all of the hot water.

When I step out of the bathroom, a sound escapes my throat that I am too embarrassed to admit to making. I'm not sure what it is that frightens me, the ghostly white figure huddled up in the corner on the other side of the room or the sob that escapes from this same figure.

I stand frozen, just outside of the bathroom, holding onto the towel I was using to shake out my hair. It takes me a minute to realize that the figure lurking in the corner is Baz. It takes me another minute to understand that he's crying. Like, full on crying, his nose running, eyes red and puffy, tears pooling on his chin. He doesn't even bother trying to wipe them away.

This must be a trap. He's trying to lure me into the dark corner of our room, so he can finally finish me off. Well, I'm not falling for it. I refuse to walk right into his very obvious trap. I start to turn towards my bed, but then, another sob escapes from his mouth.

I know right then that he isn't faking it. The sound was too real for it to be fake. Even Baz can't fake that kind of emotion just to bring someone down. I drop the towel I'm still holding, and suddenly I'm on the other side of the room. I barely remember moving. I thought about being next to him, and then I was.

I kneel down in front of him. "Are you okay, Baz?" I ask softly.

"Leave me alone, Snow." He sneers at the floor. He's got his knees pulled up to his chest with his arms wrapped tightly around them. Like he's trying to hold himself together.

"Baz..." I say quieter this time. I don't think he hears me this time, though, because he has earbuds in. I bite my lip, trying to figure out what to do. On a whim, I gently tug on one of the earbuds. I expect Baz to slap my hand away, but he doesn't. I put the earbud in my own ear, and it becomes instantly clear why he's crying.

Baz

Bloody freaking Snow. Who does he think he is? He waltzes into our room, practically skipping, and doesn't even see me sitting there on the floor. I muffle a sob, but he wouldn't have heard it anyway. He's too busy humming to himself incoherently.

I wipe my eyes in case he finally gets a clue and sees me. But he doesn't see me. He goes into the bathroom, completely oblivious. Am I so unnoticeable that even my roommate can't see me? Granted, the lights are turned off, and I'm sort of tucked off in the corner. Still, it's like no one sees me. I'm right here. But I'm still alone.

This is my chance. To get away without him ever seeing me there on the floor, vulnerable. I wipe the tears that keep coming and try to stand up. It feels like I'm glued to the floor by the weight of my own emotions. My body feels heavy. (Even though I haven't fed recently.) I can't find the will to move up off the floor. To ever move again. So, I just sit there.

And that's how Snow finds me curled into myself, sobbing uncontrollably.

Wait, did Simon freaking Snow just scream like a little girl?