27 | LIGHTNING STRIKES |

ALEC VOLTURI DID NOT RESPECT HUMANS—they were walking blood bags in his eyes

But the girl, Aurora, was no ordinary human.

She didn't respect her own life, but was defiantly loyal to others even under the threat of death. He was well-aware of her lie, throwing out a random name to keep him from finding out the true identity of the vampire who broke the law. He heard her pulse quicken as she revealed the vampire's fake name. He chose not to call her out on it. Not yet at least. She was certainly brave which amused Alec greatly.

Alec was known as the emotionless shadow, the numb witch twin. If Jane was the psychopath, Alec was the sociopath; somewhat less unhinged than Jane, but worse because he had no feelings.

It took a single glance at the girl, Aurora, to change it all.

His curiosity was piqued for the first time in a millennia.

She was unexpectedly fiery with an uncanny strength, not physical of course, that fueled Alec's interest by the minute.

"Aurora," Alec sounded the name out pensively. He regarded the girl with a raise of his brow. "It is not a name typically heard of nowadays. It does not roll off the tongue so easily."

It was like he was almost blaming her for having a weird name, even if there were worse out there. "Sorry?"

"You're forgiven." Alec tapped his chin. "Hmm, I'll call you...Auri?" They both grimaced at the cringy sound of it. "No...Ora? Little One? Doll? Sweetheart—why is your face like that?"

Her expression had convulsed in pain, in reminder of the person who used to call her that same goddamn nickname. She was already feeling horrible and she didn't need the reminder so she pretended to be oblivious to what he meant. "Like what? I get that I'm human, you don't have to remind me how much uglier I am compared to you—I get it."

Alec shook his head, his gaze set on her. He was confused by his own concern for her. "Your eyes...they turned...sad."

He didn't remember that peculiar emotion himself, having not felt it in a millennia, but the girl, her fire and sparks, had dulled instantaneously when he called her 'sweetheart'. Alec Volturi was no idiot—he was probably the most intelligent vampire on the guard—he could put two and two together. Aurora, the peculiar human, was heartbroken.

How strange.

"Why does it matter?" she said bitterly, tightening her jaw.

He shrugged. "It doesn't."

"Why haven't you killed me yet?" Rory broke the silence that had prevailed. "You know who told me your precious little secret, I'm no longer useful to you now."

"Most humans would be grateful of my mercy," Alec raised a single brow perfectly. "You are not like other humans."

"I apologize, oh great, merciful Alec Volturi, please accept my most humblest of gratitudes as I thank you for not eating me," Rory said sarcastically and fearlessly despite Alec's darkening glower. "So what now? You're just going to keep me here? Like I'm some sort of pet?"