1 || Prologue

NOTE: This is a fan-fiction I wrote ages ago so my apologies if the grammar you read is worse than a 5-year-old's or the range of vocab isn't very broad.

"You promised."

Clarke smiled "Aww you really miss me, don't you" she slipped the ticket through the machine and walked through the doors.

Her best friend sighed "I never said I didn't... here everyone hates me."

Clarke rolled her eyes "That's not true. What about Emily?" she could almost see him, looking down at his shoes and kicking a pebble to hide his flush.

"Yeah, everyone but her...." He admitted in a whisper that she almost missed.

"You know what my dad always says:-" she said getting on an empty carriage

"Sometimes all that matters is one person... yeah, I know, he says it all the time" Clarke laughed, pulling her beanie and scarf off and throwing them on the window-seat

"Well, he's right. And I think you already find yours" She said sitting on the other seat and resting her feet on the one across her

"Mhm... but I still need my best friend anyway."

She sighed "I really miss you too, Wells. But I'm as stuck as you are. I have exams all this month and then I have my monthly visit home... You could come too, you know.."

"Yeah, but then I'd have to see that ugly face of that hag of my stepmom, no thanks. There's a reason why I chose a Uni at 413 miles from home."

She threw up her free hand "Then, when are we supposed to see each other?"

"I don't know," Wells said in a pitiful sad voice.

She sighed again and pinched the bridge of her nose "Look, I'll try.. We'll figure something out. Okay?"

"Okay." She heard the relief in his voice and smiled "uh-oh"

"What?" she asked pulling her feet down and straightening up.

"I think my dad's calling"

"He really misses you.."

"Yeah, then he should've never married that.. that-well you know.. I gotta go, though"

"Sure... Good luck"

"Thanks. I'll hear you soon.. Knobby"

"WELLS!" she heard him laugh and then the line went dead.

That stupid nickname.

One day, when they were in middle school, they had to research the story behind nicknames for a History assignment and Wells in a moment of madness decided to research hers.. and Knobby or Nobby happened.

KNOBBY. Seriously? The hell did that come from?

Well, actually she knew, something about clerks having to wear nobby hats and/or that because they used to write a lot they had calluses on fingers so... nobby clerks...

That ass-hat knew how much she hated that "nickname" and of course he used it almost every time they heard each other, just to piss her off and amuse himself.

She pulled open her bag and took her laptop out thinking to work on some course assignment.

But just as she opened a new word page, her phone biped signalling a new message from her roommate.

"Can you come on FB?"

She rolled her eyes and opened the Facebook page.

When are you going to be back?