Chapter Nine: The Cottage

Monday

I woke up with my head on Blake’s chest, and his arms wrapped around me.  I couldn’t move without waking him up. Slowly, I tried to slide myself from under his arm.

“Oh good” he yawned. His eyes were still closed. “You’re awake”

“Sorry” I told him. I felt bad for waking him up. After last night’s conversation, I couldn’t be mean to him, no matter how mean he was to me.  “I didn't mean to wake you”

“Its okay” he replied. He yawned. “I woke up an hour ago but didn't want to wake you. So I went back to sleep”

“Sorry” I said again. He just smiled at me. We climbed out of the truck and waited for AAA to come and get us out of this mess.

My back hurt from having to sleep on suck a hard surface. I hated sleeping on a couch, let alone the back of a car. The braids I put my hair were completely messed up now, so I carefully unbraided my hair, letting down the long waves the braids had created.

“You know” Blake started. He was playing his guitar again. “You should wear your hair down more often. It suits you.”

I smiled. As much as I hated having my hair down, I knew he was right. I did look nice with my hair down, especially when it was wavy. Naturally, it was pin strait, which was incredibly plain. I wished my hair was like my sisters. She had really pretty wavy hair, though she used to straighten it often when she was in high school. I knew she was always envious of me for having straight hair, while I wanted her hair so badly.

About an hour later the AAA pulled up next to the truck. Thank god. I couldn’t take another minute of waiting.

“Finally!” Blake said, jumping off the roof of the car, and went over to talk to the man in the truck.

Half an hour later, we were saying goodbye to the AAA man, who gave us a boost. We continued down the dirt road, and left the forest. We drove in silence for the first half hour. There wasn’t much to say to each other now. After being stranded for a night, we both just wanted to make it to the cottage unharmed.

“You should probably call our parents” he told me “tell them were back on the road.”

I nodded and picked up my phone. I finally had service, which was a huge relief for me. I dialled my mother’s cell number, and waited patiently for her to answer.

“Hello?” my mother’s voice was calm. She seemed relaxed.

“Hey mom” I said “it’s Elle”

“Ooh hey honey!” she was excited. I suppose hearing me was a relief. It was just past ten, and they told us if they didn't hear from us after noon they were coming to find us. “Are you guys back on the road?”

“Yeah” I told her “we just needed a boost. Nothing special.”

“That’s good to hear. How long will you be here in?”

I didn't know the answer to that. I didn't even know how far the cottage was from our houses.

“My mom wants to know how long we will be there in.” I said to Blake. He switched lanes.

“Um” he said “probably an hour”

I repeated what he said to my mother, who told me that they were preparing a good lunch for us, as we were probably extremely hungry. And she was right. My stomach growled for food.

I hung up the phone and stared down the road. I wanted to get to the cottage as fast as possible. This trip had better been worth the drive over. If not, I was going to make it.