1-12. Basics of Mana

Practical Mana, Textbook 1.

It must be a school text. The title was nice. It sounded fit for a beginner like me.

I opened it.

Table of Contents.

1. The Main Attributes

2. Hybrid Attributes

3. Basic Mana Theory

4. Basic Mana Exercises

5. Basic Spells

6. Problems with Mana? Disease.

7. Epoligue

Magic. Finally. The massive curiosity I had kept inside my mind since I was born. My heart beat faster. A smile appeared on my face, the first smile I had made for a while. 'Mana' and 'Attributes'. Interesting. If I could actually use magic after this, if it worked... A curious glint appeared inside my eyes.

I kept reading, skipping past the intro; I could read it later:

1. The Main Attributes

What is an attribute? What is your attribute? How do they work? This first chapter contains the way of magic, the five attributes, and their various qualities.

A human being can only have one main attribute and up to three lesser attributes, all decided from birth. One attribute they are talented in, and up to three lesser attributes that support their main attributes.

There are five magical attributes that exist in the world. Earth, Water, Wind, Light, and Fire. Each with their own lore, their own meaning, and power, each with differing strengths.

Earth is the most common attribute, the power is drawn from the ground, from the soil, from the Earth, and the feet. Earth magic users are also called 'Terramancers'.

Water is the second most common attribute, the power being drawn from liquid, rain, and tears, and the seas. Water magic users are also called 'Aquamancers'.

Wind is the third most common attribute, the power being drawn from the air, the sky, and the lungs. Wind magic users are also called 'Aeliomancers'.

Light is the rarest attribute, the power being drawn from the sun and the Heavens and the eyes. Light magic users are also called 'Luxmancers', 'the Holy Ones', 'Those who can control Time'.

Fire is a peculiar attribute, also called the 'Bloodline Attribute'. Only those with a certain bloodline have ever gotten this attribute; more specifically the descendants of the Fire Wizard, with the last names 'Coercion' or 'Fairest'. Fire magic users are called 'Pyromancers'. They draw their power from lightning and chaos.

I kept reading, my head slightly cocked to the side, thinking about what that all meant. I knew Elian's attribute was Wind. There was a reason why my hair was sky blue. In Kingka Academy, for the capture targets, the hair color of the characters partly represented their attributes.

Elian's hair was sky blue due to his Wind attribute and Lionel's was yellow due to his Light attribute. I wondered if I could just perform magic right now since I already knew my attributes and all. Huh. Apparently that was impossible, or that was what the book said. The mana core, or the place inside the body that supplied mana for 'creating phenomena in a sphere of influence' and thus 'performing magic'. was only formed in the body after about six to seven years of age, average ten, and the attribute was only testable at around four to five years.