23

Finn cleaned up his last table and immediately began his post-shift work. If he works diligently, he can get out of here in half an hour.

As he was refilling some napkin dispensers, Avery walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, Finn," she smiled and he smiled back at her.

"Beautiful," he greeted and Avery walked to the coffee maker to get herself a cup.

"How was today?" Avery asked and Finn shrugged.

"Not too bad, the sun was out a little bit today but it's still gloomy so it was a manageable day." He nodded. "Oh, and last night, a man came in looking for you."

"Who? Have they been here before?" She asked and Finn shrugged.

"Not that I recall, but they asked for your section. I told him you had already left for the night."

"I'm not sure who it could be, the only man that knows I work here is Cam and you know what he looks like."

"Nah, it wasn't Cam, I would've kicked him if it was," he grumbled and Avery smiled. "This man was older, probably early forties. Tall, brunet, white guy with a really impressive beard."

"I don't know anyone in my life that matches that description." Avery frowned.

"Oh, well, I told him you would be working tonight. He might be someone you don't remember. He said he'd stop by to see you." Finn explained and Avery sipped  her coffee.

"Okay,"

[•]

Compared to the morning, the evening shift was busy. Avery was battling four tables when a family walked in and she looked at the server board. The dot was on her name and there's no way she would be able to take this table.

Usually, she can have six tables in her care without even breaking a sweat. But Avery is stressed to the max about finals and graduation in a week that she was not on her top game.

"Here, I'll take care of that table for you." Ian said behind her before grabbing a few menus. Avery didn't even argue , she simply nodded and grabbed what she needed for her last table and went on to deliver it.

It was finally towards the end of the night when Avery was able to take a breather. She was standing at the hostess post when Ian came up to stand by her.

"Thank you for taking my table earlier," she smiled softly and Ian nodded.

"You're welcome," he replied.

"My parents are coming here for a late bite in a few minutes," he told her. "My table is in your section but I could give the table to Lilly if you want to leave early."

Avery shook her head. "I'm beginning to think that my coworkers are not too happy with the fact that you've been letting me off early lately." She explained and Ian frowned.

"It's because you're a full time student. Almost everyone else is a full time worker. If they need the time off like you, I'll give it to them."

"I'm sure you would, but I'm okay for tonight, thank you though," she smiled and Ian nodded.

The front door to the restaurant open and they both turned to look at the doorway. Ian's parents walked in with Annabelle in their arms and Avery froze.

She never thought she would see Mr. and Mrs. Clark again. And she definitely didn't think she was going to get an unexpected feeling of anger when looking at them.