Chapter One

Tris pov

" Wake up Tris!" My bother Caleb says while shaking me.

" I'm up!!" I yell.

" Okay. you have 1 hour before we need to leave for school!"

" Okay!! Now leave!"

He walks away and closes the door. I don't want to get up! Today is my first day of school in New York. I used to live in Chicago but my dad got a job in New York so we moved. I'm really scared to start school, For two reasons: One it's not everyone else's first day of school. Two I'm used to a small k-12 school not a normal high school. I force myself out of bed and into the bathroom. I put on some eyeshadow, mascara, blush and light pink lipstick. For clothes I decide to wear a floral top with some shorts. I put my long blonde hair in a messy bun and grab some white converse and go downstairs for breakfast. My mom sees me and gives me a hug and a plate of waffles with some fruit salad. My favorite! Caleb walks in and gets a cup of coffee.

" Are you excited for your first day of school?" My mom asks.

" Yah I guess." I reply. I'm totally freaked out! I tend to worry and overthink basically everything I do.

I look at the time and grab my backpack! Crap! I forgot to grab my phone from my room! I'm going to be late! I make a mad dash to my room crab my iPhone and run downstairs. I say goodbye to my parents and go to Caleb's car. I'm 17 so that means I can drive but my brother said he'd take me the first day. We arrive at the school and there are tons of cars parked outside! I start to breathe heavier. Caleb must of noticed because he says " It's okay."

We have to go separate ways because he's a senior and I'm a junior. I go to the front office and get my schedule:

1st period Math

2nd period PE

3rd period science

4th period language arts

5th period lunch

6th period history

7th period art

8th period study hall

" Thank you " I say to the lady.

I also get my locker number: 4610. I hope I don't get a top locker. I'm pretty short. I get to my locker and see another girl using it. We must be locker buddies! She sees me and says " Hi! I'm Christina! You must be my new locker buddy! What's your name?"

" I'm Tris." I reply.

" That's a cute name! What's your schedule?"

I hand her my schedule and she looks over it.

" We have every class together except art!"

" Awesome!"

" We better get going!"

We get to math and I see...

* All Rights Reserved to Veronica Roth*