"Yes, Papa is an exceptional man. Thank you for saying so." Elizabeth was pleased with his words.

"Do you like horseback riding?" Edward asked.

"Yes, I do. I love viewing the countryside and riding by the corral to see the animals, as well as the fields, to see what produce it yields." Her lips turned up in a thoughtful smile.

Edward grinned at her, "Good. I hope you'll accompany us the next time."

"Yes, I would like that very much." Elizabeth smiled, a blush touching her cheeks. "Tell me about your family."

Edward's face took on a thoughtful look. "I have a younger brother, William. You'd like him; he's very funny and easy going. And, yes, as Matthew said, he's becoming quite a good shot." He chuckled. "I can't believe how much he's grown up these last couple of years. My father, Charles...well, he owns and runs First Stanton Bank. My grandfather opened the bank and passed it on to him."

Edward's face changed, a slight scowl coming over his face. "He's quite obsessed with work. I don't see him much, and we don't have the best relationship."

Elizabeth considered what he had shared. She felt remorseful for Edward not having a good relationship with his father. Her Papa meant the world to her.

"What about your mother?" she asked.

Edward's eyes took on a strange look. He looked away, then rose and walked over to the railing of the terrace and leaned against it. "My mother, Felicia, died in childbirth when I was young. She was giving birth to my little sister. They both died- there were complications..." His voice trailed off.

Elizabeth gasped. "Oh, I'm so very sorry..." She went to stand beside him at the railing. He turned his sorrowful gaze on her, and she felt his sadness deep in her core. She put her hand on his arm. "My mother died in a terrible accident when I was ten. I was very close to her- I miss her still to this day. I can understand what you've lost."

Edward's eyes softened. "I'm so sorry to hear that... I loved my mother very much; I was but five when she died, and I have few memories left of her. Do you ever wonder how different your life would be if she were still here?" He glanced over at her, and Elizabeth thought he looked so young and vulnerable in that moment. Her heart went out to him.

"All the time," she breathed.

Edward took her hand in his and kissed it softly. "What was your mother's name?"

"Lydia," Elizabeth whispered, trying to breathe. But it was hard to draw air into her lungs with him standing so closely. She could still feel the warmth of his lips on her hand. He gazed at her intensely, his blue eyes capturing her. She felt as though a force was pulling her toward him, like a magnet. Part of her wanted to stop resisting, and part of her was wonderfully terrified of the feelings he brought forth in her. Elizabeth could feel herself slipping...

------------------------------------

Edward could hardly believe he was standing so near to her, with dusk falling around them, and the stars just beginning to peek out from their hiding places above. He still held her hand in his, and his eyes were locked with hers; those dark expressive eyes that held him under her spell. The dim light from the window of the house cast a soft glow over her face.

"Elizabeth, your beauty astounds me..." His voice took on a huskier tone.

Upon hearing his words, Elizabeth started slightly and pulled away, looking down.

No, don't withdraw from me again...

Edward reached out and turned her face toward him gently, stroking her cheek. "You really don't know that you're beautiful, do you?" His voice was soft, and his gaze tender.

Her eyes widened; then filled with the glimmer of tears as she looked back at him. Ah, he had found a tender spot. He suddenly understood the way she had always pulled back at his compliments; she must've thought him trifling with her.

He could feel her tremble under his touch. He wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and kiss her softly, but he feared that would send her running away from him. She would need more time to fully trust him.

He dropped his hand from her face. They really should head inside to the parlor. The unexplained absence of the both of them would look inappropriate. Edward was surprised that no one had come looking for them already.

Edward held his arm out to her. "Let us go back inside. We're missing all the fun," he grinned at her.

She nodded and gave him a weak smile before taking his arm. He could see that she was still struggling with the emotions that had risen up from the moment. He covered her hand with his as they walked toward the door.

"Thank you for talking with me tonight," he said softly. "It's been the most enjoyable time I've had since I arrived. I do hope we will spend more time together in the future."

Elizabeth looked up at him and smiled, "Yes, I'd like that very much."