{Chapter XV} | Fill You In

Wiping his forehead free off sweat, as well as his bare sculpted chest, the male slows his pace down before coming to a halt. He takes a deep breath; inhaling the revitalizing oxygen and allowing it to fill his lungs until they can take no more. He exhales loudly and brings his bottle of water to his mouth, taking a well-needed swig from it. He sighs in satisfaction and drapes his dampened towel around his neck.  

He begins walking down the trail at a slow steady pace, taking in the tranquil environment of the park that he’s grown to love. The large leafy trees create an indescribable shade, deterring the sun away, and the smooth pavement is bliss to the feet.  It’s a Monday morning, so the amount of people is infrequent compared to it being late in the evening. He occasionally passes by old couples hand in hand and mothers speed walking with their infants inside of strollers.

He thinks about the future, and wonders whether or not if he’ll ever be able obtain the unbreakable bond a mother has with its children or that of an old couple who’s decided to love and grow old with one another.

Somewhere in the distance, he notices a young female, possibly two years younger than himself, at most three, and he wonders why she isn’t in school. Her long brown hair—pulled back in a high ponytail—and she wears a pair of white flared jeans along with a worn out blue Coke V-neck and black flip-flops. His lips ever so slowly tug up into a smile. Pretty, he thinks. The pup walks ahead of her, ears perked upwards and it’s eyes dart sporadically whenever it hears an unusual sound while the female’s attention is set low onto her phone.

Probably reading a text or something, he thinks to himself.

As time passes by, the distance between them minimizes and he feels an urgency to speak to her. To get to know her name. Find out who she is. See if she is the person that he’s been looking for.

When they’re a couple of feet away, he takes a couple of steps to the right so he’s in her range, and when the time is right, he shoulders into her. Light enough not to bruise her but hard enough to gain her attention.

“I’m so sorry,” he says concerned.  He pulls his earphones out of his ears. “Are you alright?”

London takes a step backward and her hand rubs the place of impact. She takes in his appearance—black Nike sneakers, red and white basketball shorts adorn his waist and from there on, everything is bare. A prominent six-pack, well defined arms and despite them being in the shade, perspiration is evident on golden his skin.

He’s handsome but not her type.

“No it’s alright,” London says. She waves her hand dismissively and she smiles back up at him. “I should’ve paid attention to where I was walking. It’s alright.”

“Are you sure?” he says, raising his eyebrow up at her. “It felt like I hit you pretty hard.”

“I’m positive.”

He glances down at the puppy and a smile plays on his lips. “Welsh Corgi?” he questions.

“I’ve heard that they’re friendly and family orientated animals.”

London nods with a smile. “Yeah, he’s really sweet. I love him.”

“I had several dogs while growing up and this breed is by far my favorite,” he says. “I was upset when we had to give her away.”

He bends down and pets Taco gently and the dog’s tail starts wagging back and forth. “What’s his name?”

“Taco,” London says.

“Interesting,” he says. “Are they your favorite food or something?”

She laughs. “Not really. I’ve eaten them a couple of times but they’re not my favorite food,” she says. “I just thought it was a cute name for him.”