Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 2/3)

When classes had finally finished, Káel retired to his room, since there was nothing of interest he knew of, nor cared to attend. He tried calling the dragon Puff a number of times when it awoke, and during the first few times it simply looked around confused for the said 'Puff', and he was forced to clear up the fact that he was addressing the dragon.

          When it finally clued in, Káel could have sworn the dragon went a little misty eyed at being bestowed a name, since its previous owners never cared for such a thing. When he inquired into the dragon's actions however, it regained its indignant aura and with a humph, slithered under his bed.

          Káel had pinned down Ray by chance when he spotted the Blond's backside as he chatted with Samanthra in the lobby, five younger students stacked with leather bags and their guardians hovering around him. After interrupting the casual conversation he cryptically asked Ray how his ride home was going, and if he could help with speeding it up. Samanthra wore an understanding, yet strangely worried smile at the question, but Ray was intent on putting down his offer, putting its status on 'it's gonna take awhile'. 

          Truvius had gone who-knows-where after class ended, saying something about never being too ready for a test. So in terms of company, Káel had a dragon, and a might-as-well-be-imaginary friend named Phantom.

          "Soooo, what're we gonna do now?" Phantom said, watching Káel toss the rock between his palms in boredom.

          "I don't know, there's nothing to do."

          Phantom sighed dramatically, pretending to sit on the corner of Truvius's bed. "Say, where'd you find my rock?"

          "In this weird room, but it's gone now."

          Phantom perked up at the answer, his shoulders curling in as he leaned towards Káel with his gloved fingers lightly tapping each other. "Gone?"  

          "It's a wall now, I can't go in there anymore," Káel replied, his bland gaze failing to infect Phantom's strangely growing excitement. "Not like I want to with that other thing down there."

          "Oooooh, so there's a thing now?" Phantom questioned, even Puff stuck his head out from under the bed to get a better ear on the story.

          Káel sighed at the two. "Alright, when I was forced here me and Vera-"

          "Who?" Phantom cut in.

          "Vera, the red haired chick."

          He snapped his fingers in understanding. "Ah, the touchy one."

          Káel shrugged at Phantom's response. "Yeah I guess that's one way to describe her." 

          He then retold the short story about how they found the room full of strange treasures, detailing what he could remember through the spike of fright that had washed out most of the encounter, the tall black shadow being the most vivid thing on his mind.

          Phantom became more and more intrigued as the story dragged on, until Káel finally ended it and he jumped up enthusiastically. "And you said there was nothing to do! Let's go check it out!"

          Puff warbled in agreeance, and they both turned their heads in perfect synchronization to meet Káel's solid scowl.

          "No."