The Sacrificial Lamb

S A C R I F I C E

      "What is dead may never die

"What is dead may never die."

Before

Famine had fallen upon their small village in Abiquiu, Mexico.

Rosalina's mother, Isabel, grew more anxious as the time passed and starvation and sickness ran rampant. Her second son had already fallen due to a deathly sickness, a long with Rosalina's father who had died shortly after her birth. Death followed the Diaz family like an omen, and the old bruja's claimed it was because of the curse that they had cast upon them.

It was no secret that the Diaz's use to be a rather profitable family, with Rosalina's abuelo having founded the village; he'd taken on the job of running it himself. At first, they'd been respected and loved by the people that migrated, with promises of fields perfect for crops and a plethora of healthy livestock to feed the people.

The village acquired a system: her abuelo ran it, the land provided, and the people distributed it fairly.

When their first son, Rosalina's father, was born, the whole village had celebrated. They did so with the rest of the sons that were born -- for it seemed the Diaz family rarely produced any females -- and his father groomed all of his children to be leaders.

So Rosalina's father married Isabel when he was old enough, producing their first born -- a son. One of many, he expected. Her papa's brother's wives went on to bare many sons, and the village rejoiced as another line of the Diaz's seemed in good health.

That is, till Isabel had fallen ill.

Overcome with worry, Rosalina's papa turned to the villager's with any possible remedies, and they ran through them all till Isabel's sickness persisted. His brother's warned him against seeking any other remedy, claiming that it seemed death was ready to take his wife, but he was not ready to let her go.

So, he turned to the witch -- the bruja -- that lived in the mountains near a numerous amount of caves and pleaded with her to save his wife's life. She agreed, on her own terms, of course, that would benefit her: a large portion of the food produced would go to her, a long with only the healthiest livestock. He swore he would, and they sealed it with a mere drop of blood. Though it was never outlined with what would occur if he failed to comply.

It was unspoken, as he cared little for only the cure.

So the bruja swore his wife would heal in 3 days time, that she would walk once more, and never have sickness touch her again.