The Talk (Brant)

"I'm home!" Clare called out as she walked into the house. Brant paced back and forth, from the living room to the kitchen. "I see you got dressed today, did you go to the tour like I asked?"

"I did, proofs on the counter," Brant responded, continuing to pace to and fro.

"What did you think of the campus." Clare asked, setting her briefcase next to the door before making her way towards Brant.

"It was okay," Brant responded almost mechanically as he pondered the man he had encountered.

Clare stepped in front of him and came eye to eye with her son. "I'm not pulling your teeth here, tell me what's going on?" Brant paused, looking at her bright blue eyes and grinned. "I Jeff is in town!"

"In town?" Clare replied, somewhat skeptical of his word choice. "What makes you think that, tell me what happened today."

"So this morning I sent you a text, did you read it?" Brant asked, earning him a scrunched eyebrow.

"I didn't, I had a big breakthrough with some evidence from lockup that could help prove Alex was forced to help the mafia. It was a big day for the case, it might be the single most important piece of evidence that I have." Clare answered, making Brant smile all the more.

"We might be able to reunite them after I find Jeff then! I know Alex got transferred to a safe house after that one inmate tried to kill him, so it's no surprise he hasn't been able to find us." Brant said as he began to pace again, more excited than before as his heart began to pound faster in his chest.

"How are you going to find Jeff, I thought he was in Mississippi?" Clare answered as she watched Brant pace.

Brant pulled out his phone and showed her the message from Jerry, practically throwing his phone at her. She looked at the message and scowled, "How would I be able to not stay away if he wasn't close by right?"

"I don't like his word choice for you, but I think I understand what you mean." Clare responded as she handed back Brant's phone. "If he was trapped in Mississippi, then you wouldn't be able to reach out to him. If he is saying to stay away, then he has to be somewhere nearby that might Jeff being close!"

"Exactly!" Brant squealed out, "Jeff has to be in town! Then today I thought maybe I saw him!"

"Now that would be impossible sweety," Clare responded doubtfully, even though she was smiling.

"Improbable!" Brant responded as he made another loop around the carpet, then began to follow Clare into the kitchen. "He wouldn't go to any college that has any preppy people in it, so a community college would be his number one chance to avoid them right? To add to that, community colleges have people from all walks of life, so it would increase the chances of finding somebody that he knew. Jeff could be looking for us too!"

"Okay, so say he is miraculously in the same town, and the same college. How are you going to get his attention? Something tells me pulling up the records isn't allowed if you aren't in student leadership." Clare stated as she grabbed a cutting board and brought it down from the cabinet.

"That's where it gets interesting," Brant responded as he smiled happily. "I met the tour guide like you said, she was wearing red contacts and we started talking about the place. Not really all that interesting, but then we ran into a sophomore there who we ran into, really he ran into me. He looked like Jeff though, some annoying guy was following him though, so he grabbed all his stuff and ran before I could get a good luck at him though. I think if I can find that annoying guy who was following the guy around, I might be able to get answers. It might be Jeff, I can't afford to ignore that chance! Maybe I can find that guide again and have her take me to them."