Tradition

I started jumping at Clark's bed. "Clark, wake up!" I crouched down and started shaking his shoulder. He groaned.

"Emmie, what do you want?" I blushed when I heard his raspy voice.

"Wake up, fireworks will start in a few minutes." I stopped jumping and placed my hands on my hips.

He rubbed his eye and opened an eye groggily. "You're acting like a kid."

"Just because you're older than me for four years doesn't mean you can call me that." He gave a weak laugh and grabbed my wrist, pulling me towards him. I fell on top of him and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Count one hundred eighty seconds, then I'll be up. Let me sleep first for a few more."

"Clark!" My cheeks reddened, and I forced myself to calm down. Him hearing my heartbeat would get me busted. He tightened his grip on me and closed his eyes. "I don't want to miss the start-up of the fireworks," I frowned.

"Don't worry," he muffled to my neck, "I'll keep an ear out."

I scoffed, "How are you going to hear it if you're going to sleep?"

He chuckled. "I'm not a fast sleeper, Emmie. I can't sleep within a minute. And besides, you can hear the people count from ten."

"It doesn't take ten seconds to go outside, Clark."

"I have speed."

"I don't think you can do that in your situation."

"You can watch from the window."

"Clark!" I started wiggling from his grip. He chuckled again.

"I'm just joking, I'll go with you outside."

Martha suddenly shouted from downstairs, "Emilia! Just thirty seconds left, the fireworks will start!"

"Clark!" He kept laughing as he tightened his grip on me. "Let go!"

"Alright!" He opened his eyes and let go of me, I abruptly stood up and pulled him by his hands, but he wouldn't budge. Panic erupted on my face. I wanted to see the fireworks. "Calm down, I'm already joining you." He slowly stood up from the bed and he allowed me to pull him.

The people started counting from ten.

We just went out of the main door. I kept running as I dragged him towards where the people were assembling. When we reached it, I stared at the cracker that was about to explode in the dark sky.

One.

Fireworks erupted.

Everyone kissed their loved ones as I gazed at the bright lights in the sky. I have forgotten that my hand was still intertwined with his. He slowly pulled me and when I turned to protest that he was probably going back to his bed, he placed a hand on my cheek and kissed my forehead slowly.

"Happy New Year, Emmie," He whispered as he gazed to my widened eyes.

My smile slowly widened, and I gave him an embrace. I whispered to his ear,

"Happy New Year too, Clark."

* * *

I checked the time on my phone as I strolled down our neighborhood. It was that time of the year again. Every year I have to go back to Kansas for my family. We always have this tradition. More like a long time visit to spend our time. We didn't really have a tradition but we have to spend our time together because sometimes, we were busy doing our personal needs than to socialize. So practically, I was going to be in Kansas for a month. No Work. No Gina. No Clark. And no Bruce.