Essays

Isaac was up early that morning, when it was still dark outside. He didn't want to be up so early, but his first class was at 7:15. He regretted taking classes so early in the morning, but it meant more time in the afternoon. His schedule was mapped out like a normal grade school day. He was grateful for that.
     By the time Isaac had gotten dressed and ready, he had forgotten about Raymond. As he passed by the couch, he found himself doing a double take, then sighing in relief once he saw it was just Raymond. He looked peaceful, with his legs pulled up close to his chest and his back snuggled up against the back of the couch. Isaac considered just writing him a note, but as soon as he opened the drawer looking for a pen he heard Raymond speak.
     "It's still dark out," Raymond said, groggy.
     "I know. I have class soon. It's almost seven."
     "Goodness." Raymond rubbed his eyes. "Thank you for letting me stay here. It really means a lot."
     "Stay as long as you want, okay? I know you probably like to sleep in the daytime."
     "I'll sleep at any time for as long as I want to. My body just requires a lot of rest."
     Isaac glanced at Raymond's bony limbs and tired eyes. "I wonder why."
     Raymond smiled. "I'll be gone by the time you get back."
     "No rush. If you're still here, I won't be mad."
     "You're being nice again. Stop."
     Isaac rolled his eyes. "What do you want me to do, be mean to you? I can't do that."
     "That's what everyone else does."
     "Well, they're not worthy of your attention."
     "You, however, are." Raymond's sweet smile remained on his face. "Do you need me to walk with you, since it's so dark?"
     "I can do it. Thanks, though."
     "Have a nice day, Isaac."
     "You too." Isaac grabbed his backpack and headed out the door.
--------------------------------------------
     Isaac felt betrayed.
     The first day of classes seemed so calm. He wasn't worried at all- but now he had been slammed with work out of nowhere. He didn't like this school anymore.
     Every minute was super slow. Every class felt like hours. The end of the day couldn't come faster, and Isaac wasn't sure how he would last a whole half semester, let alone three years at college. He thought high school was the escape, the pathway to freedom and adulthood, but now he had more work than ever and he felt more awkward than he was in middle school.
     When he got home, he just wanted to collapse. Raymond was still on the couch, but Isaac's return had woken him up. He moved over and let Isaac fall onto the cushions.
     "Are you alright?"
     "So many things due by the end of the week." Isaac's eyes were heavy.
     "Do you need help?"
     Isaac reached into his bag and pulled out his laptop. "I can get one or two of the essays done tonight, and maybe the online lesson. I don't know." He put his head in his hands.
     "You can get it done. Don't worry. Is there anything I can do to help?"
     Isaac paused. "Just talk to me."
     And so they did. They chatted for hours while Isaac typed, and he was able to finish the hardest essay he had been assigned. He could finally get that out of the way. He started on one of the online lessons  just so they could talk more (though he didn't tell Raymond that).
     "Were you here all day?" Isaac asked. "Didn't think my couch was that comfy."
     "I was asleep for a while, then I walked to the mausoleum to get a drink. Then I came back. I felt a little odd walking in these clothes, but it's not like anyone saw me."
     "I thought you couldn't get in my house without permission."
     "Yes, but I have permission now. Once you're let in once, you're good from there."
     "Hm."
     "What's the scariest moment of your life?"
     "What?" Isaac was taken aback by the sudden personal question.
     "What's the scariest moment of your life?"
     "God, I don't know. Maybe moving here. I was all alone, and I felt almost isolated. I've always been kinda stuck to my mom." He shrugged. "You?"
     Raymond just laughed coldly. "What do you think?"
     Isaac frowned. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it? I'll listen."
     Raymond closed his eyes. "I'm sure. I'd just get more upset if I discussed it. It was..traumatic, to say the least."
     "So it wasn't, like..consensual?"
     Raymond was silent for a good thirty seconds before finally speaking again. "No," he said. "It wasn't."
     Then, without warning, a sunny smile formed on his face. "But hey, that was a while ago. I'll be okay."
     "You sure?"
     "Don't worry about me, Isaac. Please?"
     Isaac thought for a second. "Okay. I won't."
     His answer wasn't true, but it seemed to make Raymond feel better.