[ one ]

"Alright, what'll it be today Fogarty?" Junie questioned with a small smile, plopping onto the boy's bed. Fangs was standing at his shelf, scanning over all of the boxed games and puzzles.

"You and I..." Fangs trailed off, still trying to figure out what he wanted to do. "We are gonna play chess." Fang tugged out an old-looking fabric, bringing it over to the bed as he too flopped on the bed.

As they unfolded the thick fabric, the two began tossing the pieces around — assigning Junie as the black pieces and Fangs as the white pieces.

"Ah, I see, you're preparing for the chess club." Junie snickered as she set her rooks on either corners, placing her knights right beside them. Fangs rolled his eyes at the young girl.

"Chess is fun," Fangs spoke in his own defense. "It's only 'not fun' when you don't know how to play."

"I know how to play and I still think it's boring." Junie disagreed with a curt smile.

"It's much more fun when there's a wager." Fangs answered, causing Junie to lean in with her eyebrow raised. "Ah, see, you're interested now?" the two thirteen year olds huddled closer, discussing the terms of the game. "Whoever loses has to buy the winner a milkshake from Pop's."

"Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong!" Junie spat on her hand (as did Fangs) as the two stuck their hands together and shook hands.

{ — }

"You're gonna be fine Juniper," sighed Juniper's mother, Amara, as she placed a plate of fresh pancakes before her.

"I know mom, I can't help it though. My nerves are killing me." Juniper sighed with her shoulders slumped as she picked up her fork. "I mean, isn't it weird for you?"

"To be back home? Never." her mother approached the table once more, standing behind her daughter, draping her arms around her neck. The embrace was short. "You shouldn't feel so nervous. This is your home, where your -"

"Please don't say it," mumbled Juniper as she forked a piece of pancake.

"This is your home Juniper. You should always feel welcome." the young girl nodded her head at her mother. "Do you need a ride to school?"

"No, it's okay mama. I think I'll need a little vitamin D anyway." Amara nodded her head, giving the girl a tired smile before pressing a kiss to her head. "Have a good first day at school darling."

Juniper thanked her mom for breakfast, finishing up before grabbing her bag and walking out the front door. Though it was sunny out, it was still kind of cool. The fall morning were always Juniper's favorite, especially with the crunchy leaves and the cool breeze.

As she passed her neighbors house, she eyed the door and windows, wondering if her former best friend had still lived next door. Fangs Fogarty. The car in the driveway that belonged to his father was missing, causing the girl's stomach to drop, in fear that Fangs had moved out of town.

On the walk to school, she took in the scenery of this familiar place. It didn't change much, considering she'd only been gone for three years. And while it looked all the same, she couldn't help but notice the different atmosphere. Things were definitely different since she was thirteen.

Upon arriving the school, Juniper huffed, pushing her thumb under the strap of her bag as she walked up the stairs. Evidently, she was new, so it wasn't very fun when all of the students hanging around the courtyard stared at her. She tried not to mind the students that were burning holes into her with their gazes. What she was more focused on was why the school had metal detectors in the doorway.