Brant

"Where could it be, I thought I put it on the chair!" Clare complained as she rushed around the carpeted living room looking for her briefcase. "Brant honey, have you seen my briefcase? I need to find it before I'm any later!" She asked in frustration as she began to toss the couch cushion from the small, one-person chair. It landed on the ground with a soft clunk near the T.V. across the room, and she paused when she didn't hear a response from Brant. "We've been here for almost a year, and I still can't seem to find a place to put that stupid thing." She continued as she made her way towards the couch cushion and brought it back to the chair, pushing it back into place.

"No idea, where could it be..." Brant responded gloomily as he looked at the carpet miserably. "I can't seem to find anything, or anybody for that matter..."

Clare's tongue clicked in frustration as she frantically searched around their new living room, looking behind the couch, near the doorway, then out of sight in the kitchen Brant. A small sigh escaped his lips as he lay on the long brown couch that was pressed against the wall.

"Honey, I need that case before I can go, and we need money to live in this house. Can't you help me find it? I could really use the help..." She called as she made her way back into his vision. A small scoff broke free as she made her way to the couch where Brant was laying, a large blanket covering most of his body. Clare reached for his feet and pulled something hard from behind them.

"Hey look, you found it, maybe for your next trick you could bring Jeff back to me..." Brant said weakly as he lay there unmoving, his heart still aching at the loss of Jeff.

Sitting down by Brant's feet, Clare put her hand on his leg. "Honey, you know that I've tried. It's been two years since we found him in Mississippi. There's nothing we can do though, the courts have ruled in favor of his grandparents having custody. We can't fight the system anymore, I would do more if I could, you know that right?"

"Why did they have to take him away?" Brant whined as a knot began to tighten in his stomach. "Why did they take him away? He can't be happy there, not with how they act. The way they treated him at the hospital proved that they weren't fit to be his guardians."

"They are his family honey, maybe they know something we don't. I'm sure they are trying to do what they think is best. Even if it doesn't make any sense to anybody but them. We just have to accept that he is living there now."

"He won't ever be able to make anything of his life over there though. He's stuck dealing with those people, it has to be horrible. They won't be able to get through to him, especially after seeing how they acted. I don't think he will be able to do anything."

"Well it seems like you two have that in common then," Clare responded tentatively as she squeezed a bit harder on his calf. "Honey, you can't just mope around for your whole life. Jeff may be in Mississippi, but he would never approve of you acting like this. You need to make something of yourself."

"I don't want to make something of myself, I want Jeff!" Brant continued, his eyes beginning to water. "I just want the love of my life to come back to me."

"That's just not happening Brant. We've done all we can. Now we either have two options. We can A, give up all hope of seeing him again and mope all day, or B you can try and make something of yourself, then find your newfound skills to track him down when you're a bit older and then reunite with him."

"Why can't we have option C and have him just show up at our door and come home?" Brant whimpered as he felt a small tear roll down his eye and make a line towards the edge of his nose.

"That's not how life works baby." Clare said as she tried to discreetly check her watch. "Besides, we moved to a new house for work, and the new house was already sold to a new family who wanted to start a half-way home for people who didn't have a place to sleep. You know Brant, you could go to college and take a few classes on investigative law. You could try and hunt down something that I missed to try and get Jeff to come back to us."