Distraction

"Hello everyone, my name is Cale Brady, I'll be part of your investigation squad from this point on."

There was mutter among the force, people looking at each other, eyebrows raised. I know what they're all thinking.

"You're an American."

The pale, brunette man standing at the front smiled, shaking his head slightly, "that's incorrect. While my parents came from America, I was born here in South Korea," he squinted, "that isn't an issue, is it?" Heads shook all around the classroom. It's like this new guy is an animal in a zoo.

"Thank you, Officer Brady. You may take a seat now." The head of the squad gestured for him to sit, but the only available chair was next to me. Why did it have to be next to me? He wandered towards me, his walk exaggerated, overconfident, but there was something alluring about it. He eyed me down as he rested himself next me, I nodded at him and then resumed listening to the department leader, though I could still feel eyes on me.

"What's your name?" I shot a look at him, nodding towards the front of the room, signalling he listen. "Okay, I'll call you Richard. How you doin' Dick?" I sighed, bouncing my head at him.

"Yang Seungbae," I blinked, actually seeing him closely, his skin was lightly freckled, his eyes deep green.

"Seungbae, huh? I like that. Sometimes I wish mum and dad would've given me a Korean name, but being named after a leafy green isn't so bad either." I huffed, smirking. This guy isn't as dull as the other officers.

"Say, Seungbae, do you have a partner?"

I shook my head, "no, I don't.

He smiled widely, "you do now, that okay?"

I nodded, and turned back to the front of the room where the squad leader was handing out assignments, he had almost given me a solo task, but Cale had shot his hand up and declared us partners. I wish he had never done that.

***

"Why are you calling me?" I questioned, lifting myself off the ground and walking away from Sangwoos front door, too distracted to care. He always had this affect on me, making me absent to anything but him. I hated him for it.

"I don't really know, honestly. I'm in town, so I thought maybe we could meet up? If that's not an issue." Of course it's an issue. Look where I am right now, about to catch a serial killer, and you call me?

"No, it isn't a problem." Why am I doing this? Sangwoo is right there!

"Great! Are you available in an hour?" What? No, I'm not. I'm not available to you at all.

"Yes, but isn't it a bit late?" I looked back at the door. How could I do this?

"I know, but I'm only here for a few days and I'll be busy any other time. I'm at the SouthMain Hotel, I'll meet you outside in an hour and we'll catch up."

"Yeah, okay. See you then." I ended the call, put my phone in my pocket any clenched my hands to my face angrily. I told him to stay away from me, that I never wanted to see him again. But I guess three years is long enough in his book.

How is it he always gets his way?

***

"Seungbae, why are you always so serious?" He poked my cheek, and I glanced at him, "it's like you're a mannequin."

"I'm driving, Cale," I said, swiping his hand away, "why do you feel the need to distract me? Do you want me to crash?" He giggled and threw his hands on his lap, tapping his fingertips together and whistling. His whistle was melodic, perfectly sync to the world around him. I was never able to copy it, no matter how much he tried to teach me.