Chapter 8: Babysitting Philip...and Thomas

Start from the beginning

Philip saw me doing this, so he did it, too.

There, leaning against the wall near the front door, arms crossed tightly over his chest, was Thomas.

I placed a hand over my chest. "Jesus, Thomas."

Ignoring my remark, Thomas smirked. "Good with kids, huh?"

I shrugged. "I guess. I'd say I'm average."

That's when I heard a familiar whiny voice snap, "I'm not a kid!"

I turned to look at Philip, and he was crossing his arms, staring at Thomas with a look that could kill.

Me, being the oblivious person that I was, arched an eyebrow. "What's wrong, Philip?"

Philip looked at me, squinting his eyes in a very cute way. "I don't like Thomas. He's mean to my dad."

I looked at Thomas, and he seemed to be stifling a laugh.

"Oh, come on, Phil!" I said, laughing a bit. "Thomas isn't that bad!"

Philip then mumbled something to himself and turned away from us.

"But seriously, all jokes aside," I told Thomas, my expression serious. "How did you get in here?"

Thomas rolled his eyes, chuckling a bit. He gestured to the door with his thumb. "The door's unlocked. Seriously, Y/N. You gotta be more responsible."

I rolled my eyes, Philip doing the same.

Philip then felt the need to get up and walk to Thomas, doing that dramatic stomp that brats do. Thomas looked a little awkward, and he tried to break the awkwardness by waving.

The freckled young man pointed at Thomas. "Why do you like him so much?" he said to me. "He's just so mean!"

Trying not to laugh, I responded. "He's not bad once you get to know him."

Thomas, looking exasperated, tried to talk to Philip. "Listen, kid. I'm not mean. I'm just a man who takes business very seriously."

"And who likes to yell at my dad," Philip snapped. I honestly have no idea why he couldn't just put on a happy face and act like he enjoyed being around Thomas.

I gave Thomas a look that said "insert authority", and he gave me a curt nod.

   "Philip, you're really pushing your luck here. If you talk to me like that one more time, I'm sending you to an upstairs room," Thomas said with authority lining his smooth voice.

   I nodded at him, smiling.

   Philip crossed his arms. "You're not my dad."

   "Philip, you little sh-"

   "Okay!" I interjected. I turned to Philip. "You, you can go play in the playroom." I turned to Thomas, speaking through gritted teeth. "And you, we're gonna have a little chat."

   Philip nodded, excitement flickering in his brown eyes. He bounced up to the upstairs playroom.

I grabbed Thomas by the collar of his coat and dragged him to where Philip wouldn't be able to hear us. "You think profanity is a way to get a child to behave?" I snarled.

Thomas guilty shrugged. "I dunno..."

"If anything, you have to prove yourself to him for him to truly behave!"

Thomas remained silent.

"Now you better be the nicest you've ever been to that brat," I demanded, "or else Alexander is gonna hate me."

Thomas chuckled, getting closer to me. "You're cute when you're angry~..," he purred seductively.

I smacked him across the face. He yelped like a toddler. "Ow!"

"Cry me a damn river," I growled at the floofy fellow. "Now you're gonna go and apologize to Philip, or else."

Thomas nodded and set out to go find Philip.

He didn't come back for a while, so I decided to go check on him.

When I got upstairs, Thomas was pretty much beating the Jesus out of Philip. "Thomas Jefferson!" I scolded in a motherly way, prying Thomas of the child. "What's the meaning of this?"

Thomas tried to explain. "When I tried to apologize, he insulted me! I had to teach him a lesson somehow!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "That's not the way to do it..."

"Oh."

I sighed. It was gonna be a long night...

***

The rest of the night went by rather terribly. I had to keep restraining Thomas, while also taking care of a 7-year-old. After a while, Thomas pulled me into a room.

"So, I've liked you for a really long time now...and...will you be my girlfriend?"

I answered by pressing my lips against his own soft ones. As the kiss deepened, we were interrupted by a familiar childish voice yelling, "Ew! Gross!"

Thomas and I broke apart, chuckling as we took a glance at Philip. "So?" Thomas asked again.

"Of course," I answered.