Chapter Fourteen

I followed Kennedy's scent while feeling Gabriel's presence following closely behind me. He remained silent as we walked through the pack house and into the kitchen where everyone was sitting.

Dan, Eli and Kennedy were there along with another wolf and child. I noted immediately that she must have been Dan's mate by the way he held onto her, her stance so light and comfortable. The little girl looking identical to her.

"Hi, I'm Charlie." She instantly said, a friendly smile beamed across her face as she approached me. I returned the smile and greeted her.

"Lara," I replied, introducing myself as I searched around to find Kennedy sitting on the floor along with who I assumed was Dan and Charlie's daughter.

I could feel Gabriel standing behind me, my stature turning stiff and full of tension. My argument with Gabriel still on my mind and still very fresh.

"Would you like me to take them outside to play for a little while?" Charlie suggested, her eyes trained on mine for permission. Everyone noticing the awkward tension in the room from Gabriel and me. Even Dan and Eli were staring at us inquisitively.

I nodded, Gabriel and I had to speak, we couldn't put the conversation off forever. "If you don't mind."

"Yeah, no problem." She replied, her hands reaching down to grab the girl's as she walked out of the kitchen with Dan and Eli.

I turned around to see Gabriel leaning against the doorway, pushing himself off as he motions for me to go upstairs. "My office is upstairs; we should talk in there."

We walked up the stairs and down the hallway to his office, he gestured for me to sit on the couch as he took a seat in his chair behind the desk.

The couch was to the side of his desk, it felt more relaxed than if I was opposite him.

I scanned his facial features for a moment, he had changed so much in four years it seemed. It was a strange feeling to be in the same surroundings as him again, to be in each other's presence.

He turned his desk chair to face me, our body positions now face to face. "I know you don't want to talk about anything to do with us being mates. So, for now we won't discuss it."

I kept tight lipped as he began to speak, his words leaving me a little stunned and reminiscing on old unwanted memories.

"You mentioned this morning that you tried to call me, that you would leave me voice messages. I won't deny that I didn't hear them because I did. I just selfishly choose not to reply, not to call you back. I was immature and reckless; I never could have imagined that the reason you kept contacting me was because you were pregnant."

"The thought honestly never crossed my mind." He sighed deeply, he looked furious and upset with himself. His words sounding sincere as he continued speaking. "I'm devastated with myself for missing out on Kennedy's life, on your life."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, I had always wondered and dreamed about this moment, whether it would be full of anger or sorrow. "I thought about telling you over voicemail or text, but it didn't at the time seem like the correct thing to do."

"Honestly, I think you did the right thing by not telling me. I don't believe my younger self would have reacted in the correct or respectful way. I wasn't in sync with my wolf as I am now." I understood the meaning behind his words, he wouldn't have wanted to keep the baby.

"I want to express to you now, how different I am to the person I was when I was eighteen. I want to know my daughter; I've missed so much of her life and I don't want to be absent any more than I already have been."