Chapter 12

“Its appa’s birthday this Saturday and they have invited you all home for a celebration,” Hoseok said as soon as Yoongi and he got out of the water.

The boys had decided to visit the lake near the 30s street. While everyone played in the water, Jin sat by the lakeside watching them, his feet just beneath the cool surface.

“Aha! I knew I was forgetting something important!”
Tae suddenly exclaimed raising his index finger in the air.

“Pabo! You are always forgetting things”, Jimin poked Tae’s head,

”Once a Pabo always a Pabo,” and gave one of his smiles, his eyes almost completely disappearing into his face.

Tae waved his hand in front of Jimin’s face raising two fingers and asked,” Jimin-ah how many fingers am I holding?”

Next thing you know Tae is running for his life followed by a very angry Jimin, water splashing everywhere.

“Run hyung run!” Kookie cheered. He turned towards Jin and called out,

“Hyung! Come on, the water is refreshing! You don’t have to come in too deep!”

“I’m fine here. Someday I will, Kookie. Just not now”, Jin replied after thinking for a while. Kookie nodded in response and gave a slight smile knowing about his hyung’s fear of waterbodies.

“What should we do this time?” Jin looked up and asked like the good boy he was.

“We could dance!” Hoseok suggested and started doing a weird dance.

Tae soon joined him, “Yeah! Jiminah you should join us! And then we could call ourselves Hoseok-Tae-Jimin.“

“That’s really long and stupid. Make it shorter like…‘Hoseok-tae-Min’!” Kookie joined in the conversation.

“Or Jung Taemin!” Joon said out loud.

“Wow!” Jin exclaimed and Kookie nodded in approval. It was immediately put to an end when Jimin threw his shirt at them,

“They are your parents. I think they’d be tired of all the dancing.”

“That’s true,” Tae nodded,” What do you think hyung?” he put his hand on Yoongi’s shoulder asking him.

“I think us showing up on its own will be the biggest gift,” Yoongi suggested seriously.

“Hyung!”
“You are so lazy hyung!”
Yoongi’s suggestion resulted in all boys piling upon and playfully hitting him.

------

Of the seven years they were friends, they had only been to Jin, Hoseok and Kookie’s house.

They always had an amazing time at Hoseok’s. His parents were as cheerful as he was.

They had a huge backyard where they spent time. From playing games to cooking food, not just the boys but Hoseok’s parents also participated.

“Here is your favourite!”
Hoseok’s eomma would exclaim every time she brought barbecue. It was their favourite.

Hoseok’s eomma cooked the best food they had ever tasted. It was clear where Hoseok got his positive outlook from.

At Hoseok’s the door was open for the boys 24/7.

------

It was not a surprise after visiting Kookie’s house as to why Kookie and Tae were so attached to each other. They were practically brothers. If not for the facial features and different surnames, no one would be able to guess they weren’t related.

When they were around 11-12 years old, people would get confused and unable to distinguish among them. Since the boys even shared clothes, it was hard to tell them apart.

Their room was average sized and had two beds. One had heaps of clothes on it and the other was neatly kept. Similar was the situation for the two tables in the room. One neat while the other in disorder.

If you had met the boys you would think Tae is the messy one and Kookie was the one who lived tidily. Kookie’s obsession with pleasant smells and baths, and Tae’s love for mud and all the animals in the world would make you think so.

But it was Tae’s bed that was neatly kept. Au contraire it was Kookie’s table that was in order. The rest of the room however was a complete mess.

------

But the boys would go to Jin’s to help him and his grandpa. Even though he was just in his 60s he seemed old and weak. So occasionally all of them would go to Jin’s.

Hoseok and Kookie always brought eatables for Jin and his grandpa that their eommas prepared. Once every month they would keep two days free.

Grocery shopping, cleaning the whole house, buying medicines etc. Jin’s house would be loud with laughter and fun for those two days at the end of which they would enjoy grandpa’s special cooking as a bonus! Grandpa was thankful to god that Jin had his friends.

Due to obvious reasons the boys never stayed overnight at each other’s.

And they all knew why they couldn’t go to Yoongi’s, Joon’s or Jimin’s. Thus it was never brought up. It was an unspoken rule amongst them.