Bylaw

"Time of death is estimated at 6:34 p.m."
"Korean Male, 5'4", approximately 17 years old, no ID or wallet on the body."
"Found hanging from an empty festival booth, visual suicide."
"Check for any missing persons reports."
"Deep purple bruising around the neck."
"Are you sure there are no witnesses? Only the ladies who found the body?"
"No ones stepped forward, Officer Park."
"Theres got to be something I can help with!"
Their shallow eyes turned to me, the chaos has rendered me invisible, just another heat source.
"Seungbae," I turned and saw the head of the department walking towards me, "you're not a homicide investigator anymore. Why you responded to a suicide call I have no idea but you have to leave. You're needed elsewhere."
I choked, turning to the gurney that held the deceased body of a young boy, "but what if this isn't a suicide? What if it's a cover up? You'll need all the help you can get-"
"You don't get to make that call. There have been far too many complaints over you interfering in affairs that aren't yours."
I sighed, rubbing my forehead and nodding. This isn't fair, one mistake and I'm demoted.
I turned away and headed for the commotion the festival had become. People lined up at the tape, trying their best to get a look at the body. Sick fucks. Do they have nothing better to do?
"Is it a murder?"
"No I think it was suicide."
"No its definitely murder, who hangs themself so public?"
"Who hangs another person so public?"
They're all detectives in their own ways. Not officially, but every person in this crowd will make them-self a part of it. There's no boredom in death.
Broken neck. There's no way he fell hard enough six feet off the ground to break his neck. Was this really suicide?
"Excuse me?"
A woman's voice? I turned and in front of me was a short, old lady with wrinkled eyes, her hair was visibly dyed black.
"Yes?" I asked strictly, annoyed at the unwanted interaction.
"You're an officer right?"
"Yes ma'am.. but I'm not part of this investiga-"
"I was told my granddaughters disappearance would be top priority, but haven't heard a word in days. Do you know anything?"
I paused, this lady looked like she was on the verge of tears.
"You should really go to the station for information regarding missing perso-"
"They never tell me anything when I do. Just that they're doing their best. Is my granddaughter dead, officer?"
"I- I'm not in that department."
The woman sniffled, digging into a small purse, pulling out a photograph of a young girl, handing it to me.
"Her name is Lee Mina. It's been nearly 2 weeks. Shes all I have left, please help me. No one else will."
I looked at the picture and handed it back to lady.
"I'm sorry ma'am. Theres nothing I can do."
Before she could pull me back, I stomped away and headed into a neighborhood close by the festival.
I know theres nothing new to the Lee Mina case, not a single clue other than the stranger seen leaving a nightclub with her. Even that's turned up with false reports and fake criminals. They've pretty much dropped the case.
"We need more cameras in this fucking city."
Lee Mina, that boy, the two old men, all those women all missing with no leads. Is it all the same person? Different people for each victim? If only they'd let me see the files. There has to be a link they all miss. Location? Each disappearance is within the south region of the city. The killer doesn't stray far from home. Appearance? Besides the male involved they've all been women, none of them sharing anything but that. If they'd let me see the files and reports then I would have more to work with than what I've overheard. If the head of homicide found out I've been investigating privately it could mean the loss of my job. They won't even admit it's a serial murderer, heaven forbid our quaint city be infested with such vermin.

But who is this guy? Just earlier this evening, after eavesdropping on a tip called in about that Mina girl I went to the site she was last seen and happened to come across that Sangwoo kid again. He lives awful close to where she was last seen. He resides in the south region, lives alone. I've even met him once before, but he didn't seem to remember me. Why does Park trust this kid so much? He has no criminal record, he's a perfect being. It's almost like he purposely avoids it. What type of kid is he?

Perhaps I should pay him a visit, see if he was at the festival this evening, he only lives a thirty minute walk away. He'd be home by now if he isn't still out. 

***

The walk went by quickly. It was silent other than the odd vehicle that drove by. I assume word had already spread about the body at the festival and anyone who lived nearby would be trying to get a look.

"I should be on the street, handing parking tickets." I muttered to myself, thinking about how much trouble I'd be in if anyone found out. I can't really afford a fuck up, the pay-cut was severe after I got demoted. But that was three years ago, and I haven't been given a second chance since. I transferred recently, so I had to start entirely new relationships, I had to start over completely. Why did that man have to murder my father?

I shook my head, telling myself not to think about it. Think about something else. Lee Mina. Think about her, about her grieving grandmother. About the bastard that probably killed her. Think about the black haired suspect.

Black haired?

Oh Sangwoo has dyed blond hair. Are there two of them? Do they work together? Is it coincidence that Sangwoo lives here? Did the witness just see it wrong? He said the vigilante was short to, no taller than Lee Mina. Sangwoo is at least six feet tall. Who was that man? Did he watch Mina die? Did he help Sangwoo kill her? Does he lure the victims? What is their relationship? Do they even have one? What am I going to do if I'm right?

"You had to pass out."

My eyes grew and I stepped back as silently as I could, pressing my back against a corner wall, holding my breath and listening intently. I know this voice, but it seems so much different.

"I need to wrap your arm. What did you do to it?"

There was shuffling, I refused to move a muscle. I know who you are. What are you doing.

"Yoonbum, you need to stop doing these things."

Yoonbum? I know that name. He's a 24 year old kid who used to get in trouble a lot. He has a forgotten reputation at the station for stalking and sexual assault. He has black hair. Footsteps interrupted, they were coming my way. I scurried behind a bunch of trash bins and peaked my eyes through a hole in between them.

There he was, holding a limp figure in his arms, looking bored. It was hard to see, but the dull light of the streetlamps revealed bloody hands. What did he do to him? He glanced around, then turned left down a thicker street. I sighed, relieved he didn't see me. I want to get him, here and now, but I need to corner him.

Careful not to make loud sounds, I tiptoed behind him, hiding away in darkness every chance I could. He must be going home, this area is close-by. Is that where he came from? What's happening with that other kid? Is he okay?

We're close. I recognize the turn. He went around the corner and began to whistle. I followed. Getting ready to close in, standing up. He was walking up the steps to his house. He opened the door. He walked in, closing it behind him. I began up the walkway, heart racing, smile forming. Sangwoo has a bloody kid sitting unconscious in his house. One that matches the description of the suspect seen with Mina. This has to be it.

Briing

M-my phone? I stepped away quickly and turned to hide behind the tall green fence. 

I pulled my phone out, seeing an unknown number. Reluctantly, I answered it, knowing Sangwoo wasn't going anywhere.

"Hello?" I asked quietly.

"Seungbae? Is that you? This is still your number right? I wasn't sure seeing as you moved awhile ago."

I fell to the ground, my butt landing uncomfortably on hard cement. It's been three years since I've heard you say hello.

Cale.