Chapter 1: When the Sun Sets

(Year: 2027)

[Ram's POV]

I sat on the rock formation by the shore and quietly watched the sun as it began to hide itself behind the tall mountain. Shades of red, orange and yellow filled the sky.

"Why does the sun set? Can't it stay here forever?" I uttered to myself.

"It sets here because it needs to lighten up the world of others," a voice coming from behind whispered.

I turned around to see whose voice it is. Then I saw him.

I think my pupils dilated at that moment. I didn't expect that I would see him here as much as I didn't expect him to answer my question.

He flashed a smile. It is still the most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

He sat beside me and gaze at the setting sun before us.

He's still the same guy that I have fallen in love with before. He hasn't aged a bit. I love how his lips curve, forming the most radiant smile.

He still has those profound brown eyes which for me is the best part of his face because it reflects his soul, his deepest secrets, his innee feelings, his personal desires. His lovely eyes which can thaw even the coldest heart. No doubt he has captured mine.

"I might melt if you continue staring," he said and chuckled.

I hadn't realized that I was staring at him for quite a moment. I swiftly looked away and lowered my head in embarrassment.

"I'm just kidding, Ram. How are you?"

It felt like my voice box malfunctioned and my throat just dried up. I let out a sigh.

I could see his smile shifted into a sad expression from my peripheral vision. There was a long silence. I tried to compose myself and struggled hard to stop the forthcoming downpour of the clear liquid in my eyes. I lost count of how many times I gulped and sighed.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, finally breaking the ice.

Say something. I commanded my brain.

"Maybe the sun sets because it's tired," I said, pretending I didn't hear his apology.

"Or maybe it isn't. Maybe, it badly wants to stay but it can't because another place out there is in need of it's light," he said calmly.

"Then why can't it be in both places? That way, it can both light them."

"Maybe because the universe didn't allow it."

"If it really wants to stay, it could have done something. If there's a will, there's a way, right?" I said and looked at him.

He didn't answer and just lowered his head.

"Maybe, it doesn't really want to be here. Maybe it doesn't love this place that much that's why it is so easy for it to leave," I continued. I stared intently at him as if trying to squeeze out some answers from him. He's still silent. I decided to give up and looked away.

"Ram," he mumbled.

I didn't know why but I felt my heart melted that second. It's the second time he called my name but this time it was different. I felt the hurt and guilt in his voice.

"Everything happens for a reason. Maybe the sun has its reason," he added.

"Then, tell me. Tell me Yu, what's the reason? Why did the sun choose to leave? Why did it decided to leave this place? Why? I want to know that reason. I need to know why."

I don't know what occured to me, I just burst out my feelings all of a sudden. I know that was not a nice move. It was childish. But, I can't help it. Everything came back to me. The memories, the feeling, and the pain.

Then, the liquid in my eyes, which I've been trying to hold on for so long, streamed down my face.

He faced me and said, "Maybe, the sun doesn't want to hurt the inhabitants of this place that's why it decided to leave."

"I... I don't understand," I said between my sobs.

"It knows that staying for too long will wither everything in here. And maybe, the sun doesn't want that to happen. It doesn't want this place to die because of its presence. Because it loves this place so much."

**

He picked up a stick, drew a heart and wrote something in the sand.

I love you Ram.

I smiled and hugged him tight.

"I love you, Yu," I whispered.

He held my hand tightly and asked something out of the blue.

"What will you do if someday I'll be gone from you?"

"What kind of question is that? Why did you ask?"

"Nothing. It's just situational question. You know, one of those 'what if' questions I always ask you."

"Hmm. If someday, you'll be gone from me, I don't know what will happen to my life. Maybe, I will not continue living because there's no sense. You're the only one that I loved and cared about."

He frowned at me and patted my head like I'm a little child.

"If that will happen someday, I want you to be strong, to continue living. Never leave our kids, don't do what I did. Because if that happens, remember that it is my fault and don't blame yourself. You don't deserve a husband like that, like me."

Now, it's my turn to frown.

"Why? Are you planning to leave me?" I asked even though I already knew the answer long before this moment.

"No it's just that I can't promise that I will not hurt you because there might be a time when I might hurt you without me knowing it. Many things might happen in the future. But, if ever I hurt you, please promise me you'll be strong, okay?"

I'm confused yet I still nodded and he kissed my forehead.

"I love you so much, Ram."

**

Yet the Reaper left.

Along with Kyu..

Along with their memories…

**

He brushed away my tears with his thumbs. His touch made me feel like I was something delicate, something that shouldn't be broken. I felt special.

"Shh. I can't stand seeing you like that. It… it tears me apart Ram."

"Why? Why will you leave?" I asked and removed his hand from my face.

"The same reason as the sun," he answered.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: May 07, 2018 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Forget Me Not [Nine]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें