17*

Marlene

I was making dinner with Harry but I felt so awkward with his ex-girlfriend in the next room watching t.v.

It was the next day and she had stayed over on the couch. She kept scratching her arms and shaking, saying she was cold. Withdrawal while pregnant was going to be a bitch. I was also sure she'd done it more than twice.

I brought her a blanket and she said thank you. "Could I have another muffin?" She asked as I walked back towards the kitchen.

"We're out, but I can make you some cookies." She rubbed her belly.

"Peanut butter?" I nodded. "Are you like a chef or something?" I shook my head.

"Just like to bake." She scratched her arm, the skin starting to look raw. I walked into the kitchen and stood beside Harry. "We should take her to the hospital."

"I called the clinic, they check her out there and have a room for her ready. We leave tonight to get there in the morning. I can't put her on a bus." He suddenly turned. "You are going with me right?" I nodded. "I'm sorry about this princess-"

"It's fine, although I do have to go do something really quick so I'll make the cookies and you take them out in twenty." He nodded.

*

I drove North to my mom's house parking outside. It was about five in the afternoon so I knew she was making dinner like always. I walked up to the house, to hear soft music playing. "Jeff, did you get the milk?"

I took a deep breath. "It's Marlene." I heard her heels as she turned into the hallway that connected the kitchen.

"Oh honey, I wasn't expecting you, come in I'll make a few extra meatballs." I smiled following her into the kitchen. I sat down on the chair by the bar and watched as she rolled meatballs into the pan.

My mother every day of my life made dinner, there was no stopping at McDonald's as kids. "I want to talk to you about something because I need advice, but I want you to be as open and as understanding as you can." She nodded. "It's about Harry."

"He's a nice man." She commented.

"Yeah, he is." I leaned on my arm. "Harry was in a relationship with this woman named Emily for almost seven years I think." She raised her eyebrow but didn't say a word. "She was abusive and would hit him." She stopped, looking up at me.

"Oh my goodness, that's ridiculous." She shook her head. "How can a woman hit a man?" I flinched.

"The same way a man hits and abuses a woman, there's no double standards it can happen to anyone." She sighed telling me to continue. "Well uh she's expecting...a child," I said quietly.

My mom turned the heat down on the stove and went to wash her hands. "Marlene Holt, did you sleep with a married man? That's adultery, and it's a sin."

"He wasn't married, he was broken up with her- I haven't even finished what I need to say and you are already bringing your religion into this-"

"Our religion Marlene, I don't understand why you are so against the church-"

"Because everyone is so fake mother! You all act like you're innocent, the bible says this, and the bible says that.
Now you're saying that if I'm sleeping with a man who has a woman pregnant it's adultery, even though they broke up and she beat him?" She looked angry after I said sleeping with. Sometimes I say too much.

"No it's not Marlene, but it is in the bible that we do not have premarital sex. Now you are sleeping with a man you've been with for what, two or three months! Acting like a whore!" I let out a dry laugh standing up and shaking my head. "Oh yes leave like you always do, letting a man touch you before marriage." She shook her head.