8. I learn about the avengers

Pepper is slightly trying to shake me awake, careful not to hurt me. My eyes shoot open and my cheeks are wet from the tears. My throats feel hoarse and my breath is shaky. I guess I had another nightmare. I look around me but I don't see Tony anywhere.

"Tony's outside. He's working on... ehm.... the lights." I look up to see the lights are out while trying to make my breath go even again.

"Do you wanna come and see?"
I look up to her. She's smiling down at me and holding out her hands. Taking her hands I carefully pull myself up. When I'm on my feet again I let go and carefully walk along with her. I notice I'm in a shirt now, so I guess someone changed me while I slept. It's soft and comfortable but still way to big. Looking at the designs on it I'm guessing it's Tony's.

Pepper leads me to the place she was working and helps me sit up on the desk. I look at all the numbers and flashing lights and images of probably important stuff. Then I hear Tony's voice saying: "good to go on this end. Rest is up to you."

I look around confused. Where is his voice coming from? Pepper smiled a little at me before asking: "you disconnected the transmission lines? Are we off the grid?"

I look at her. How is she talking to Tony when he's not even here?

Pepper seems to notice I'm confused.
"We're calling." She quietly whispers before I hear Tony again. "Stark tower is about to become a beacon of self sustaining clean energy."

I don't really understand what they are talking about. I'm just looking around when I spot Tony's face on the screen where he and pepper can see each other while they are calling. I move slightly so I can see it better.

"Hey squirt! Done sleeping?" I giggle a little at the nickname and nod quickly.

"How does it look?" Pepper asks Tony curiously.

"Like Christmas, but with more me." I smile at his way of saying it, even though I don't really understand what he means with it. It sounds funny.

Pepper starts saying something about a public camping  or something. I zone out for a little as they talk about something that sounds important. When I look outside I see some kind of robot landing on some special platform thingy. I softly tap on peppers shoulder to try to gain her attention. "Pepper? What's that?"

She follows my gaze and smiles a little when she sees the robot. "That would be your father." 

The robot thing walks and something starts taking it apart and when I see Tony is inside it, my mouth almost falls open. He was flying!

A robotic, British voice speaks up and says: "agent Coulson of SHIELD is on the line."

I scare a little and look around to find the source of the new, unfamiliar voice that seems to come from all around me.

"That's JARVIS. He's our A.I. You can ask him anything you want to know. He pretty much runs the building."

Tony continues talking to Jarvis like it's the most normal this in the world. It probably is for him though. He tells him something about growing a spine. Which reminds me of my spine that is barely even hurting. It's just a little sore.

Tony and Pepper are saying something about percentages. I think Pepper is mad about him saying she did twelve percent or something. I don't really pay attention to them as I look on the screen where numbers are moving really fast. I try to read them all. But after a while I get dizzy and try to focus back on what Tony and Pepper are saying.

They are both holding a glass with some bubbly liquid inside. A phone bleeps and JARVIS speaks up again. He says something about being overwritten and then I hear another man talk over the phone. I carefully hop off the table I was sitting on and walk over to where they are. Pepper motions me over and sits me on her lap. They are both really nice to me and I'm starting to trust them a lot more already, so I let her.

"You've reaches the life model decoy of Tony Stark, leave a message." Pepper smiles a little as the man says: "this is urgent."
"Then leave it urgently." Tony responds quickly.

At that moment the elevator doors slide open and there's a man standing there. I don't know what to do, but he doesn't look mean. Not like the men with Mister Fiers. They still scare me. I look up at Pepper who is smiling at the man. I think that means I can trust him too.

Tony says something about a security breach but I don't think it's serious. Pepper places me down and looks over to the man. "Phil! come in!"

I look over to Tony, who's looking at her almost in disbelieve. "Phil?"

"Can't stay." The man says with a small smile on his face. "You must be Nova. Nice to meet you, how have you been? You look better." He crouches down in front of me and holds out his hand. I hesitate a little, but shake it anyway and quietly say "I'm good" before letting go and stepping back a little so I can be behind Tony. He gives me a quick smile before turning serious again and looking at Tony and Pepper.

Tony still looks a little confused when he says: "his first name is agent." Pepper ignores him as she moves over to the man named Phil. "Come in! We're celebrating!"

"Which is why he can't stay." Tony quickly adds. Then they start trading stuff and I don't really follow what it's about. I giggle quietly as Tony scowls at Pepper for something.

They say something about Avengers. I don't know what that means and I have to remember to asks someone later on.

Tony goes to look trough the files and motions Pepper over to him. Some holographic images and videos come up and I remember Fiers having something like it. I walk over to sit on the couch instead of the floor where I ended up. Mister Agent Phil, as I now call him, stands there looking around awkwardly.

I look at the videos playing and see a big green guy, that's awesome, some man with a shield fighting others, a man and a woman that are shooting at something, the man with bow and arrow and the woman with small guns. There's also video of a weird looking man with long black hair, and another one which is more muscly and with blond hair. Then there's a glowing blue square cube thingy. That seems to be what this is all about. I look back to Mister Agent Phil, who is looking at me uncomfortably. I see Tony and Pepper whispering and then Pepper goes to kiss him. I quickly look away in the direction of Mister Agent Phil, almost falling over because of the sudden hurry, and he seems to restraints a chuckle at my clumsiness.

Pepper than walks over to him. After talking a little to him she gives Tony a small wave and tells me I can stay with him. She gives me a small wave as well and turns to leave. Tony walks over with all the files he's got. He sets it all down and looks at it in concentration.

"Do you see that, Nova?" He says pointing at the blue cube. "That's the tesseract. And I have to find it." He takes the hologram form of the cube in his hand and shows it to me. I stab my finger at it, but it goes straight through, causing me to giggle a little. Tony smiles as he places the cube back in its place.

"You tired?" He asks looking at me. Before I can answer though, he speaks up again. "Course not. You just woke up. Ehhmm..." he rubs his forehead, seemingly deep in thought. "D'you wanna go to bed or are you gonna help me?"

I look up at him confused. I have a choice? He wants my help? What?

"Do you want my help?" I ask, slightly shocked at someone wanting me around them.

"Well, I gotta be honest, I don't really know how to find this thing..." He makes a swiping move, shoving the cube in my direction. I study the thing while he continues talking. "So I guess all help is welcome. If you'd want to of course."

I nod quickly. I'm already excited as I start to look at all the images and words all around me. This is definitely going to be fun.