7: Family ties

Sara was tired. Simple.

After a long and stressful week at work; which first off started with arguing back and forth with Jeremy about which design prototype would favor the house as the client was a 'blind' client, then later arguing with the ambitious fool about the benefits of taking the company from his father. Sara wasn't sure which side of the argument she was on. All she knew was that she didn't want to lose her job. Her finances knew she couldn't. She had a family who depended on her even if they didn't have to.

Today, she was not going back to her apartment. She was spending the night over at the family house because she had promised her dear mother she would visit once she had the time, and she had chosen today. At least that way, she would be too exhausted to argue with her family.

She wasn't too keen on coming back home, especially after Jeremy had helped her get her own apartment two years ago which offered her the freedom she needed to be away from her family and their constant nagging and bantering over her hasty decision five years ago.

Entering the compound that housed her family mansion in the prestigious Lakeview Estate in Lekki, she spotted Mide strolling out of the house with Tonya, her immediate younger sister. Olamide, a gorgeous specimen from the Yoruba tribe, was a member of the Yoruba demons association, a colloquial expression for playboys. Her superficial and supercilious sister was obviously with him for the money but would not agree when she preached to her to change her thinking. Tonya always believed in wealth above all else so it was prerty useless. Not wanting another confrontation, she quickened her steps to pass by them.

"Hey, sis. How was work today?" Tonya greeted, smiling like a Cheshire cat at her.

Sara had no choice but to pause in mid strides. "You know, the usual," she answered offhandedly, nodding awkwardly at Mide who was casting lustful eyes at her. He had eyes for everything in skirt and Sara wondered how their relationship was.

"Okay," replied Tonya before linking her arms with Mide and literally dragged him off muttering something that sounded like 'prideful fool' at her back.

Sara merely rolled her eyes at that, already used to the name calling and taunts from her family and friends alike. Ever since her decision five years ago to not stay with a cheat and a womanizer, she had been labelled a fool for choosing pride over wealth.

Sighing, she strolled into the house. Although it belonged to her, her family {which consisted of her mother Antonia, her elder sister Evelyn, and her younger sister, Tonya} weren't too eager to step back into the poverty her marriage had pulled them from and hence had moved in with her. The house was more spacious, in a very nice and expensive neighborhood that elevated the status of the Amadi family and of course the rich and wealthy friends they had made from her fortune of marrying a billionaire.

She was met at the door by her mother, who looked like she was going out for a beauty pageant. Evelyn followed behind Antonia, helping her adjust her gown.

"Hello dear, you're back. How was work today?" Antonia asked barely sparing her a glance.

Sara sighed again, getting tired of the question. "The usual, mom," came her monotonous reply.

Antonia eyed her disapprovingly.
"Look at how tired you are. Working for that stupid miser, laboring of for what? The chicken change he barely stuffs out every month? Never in my wildest dream did I foresee this for you, Sara," she complained bitterly, moving to seat on the sofa delicately as though she was a queen.

Sara grimaced at the scorn, moving towards the fridge for a glass of cold water. Goodness knew she needed it after the stressful day at work. After taking a deep gulp, she felt better.