chapter forty three ♡

lillian

i was sitting on my hotel bed deciding whether i should at least say bye to zoey, my friends but zoey doesn't live in california, she lives in hawaii and she comes down for only months at a time so i can just explain to her later.

right?

wait but jack, i mean he has helped me so much since the accident, i just feel like i owe him something.

i do, i mean he saved my life, lillian he saved you from dying, of course you owe him everything but i just don't think i want to see anybody right now.

i'm going through something, they can't expect me to want to talk to them when i'm like this.

i kind of woke up late so i missed the plane and they didn't have another one available today so instead i'm driving 1,522 miles.

i'm fine with that, it will give me some time alone, it's a twenty three hour drive though, i obviously won't drive the whole way, i'll stop somewhere between.

i'm going, i want to just be home, see my dad and brother anyways.

they don't even know what happened or that i'm coming, i'll just surprise them.

i grabbed the only bag i had with the only stuff i had gotten from sammys and i walked to the elevator.

accidentally bumping into someone.

"oh, god. i'm sorry" i said but froze when i saw jack standing there.

"where are you going?" he asked as he furrowed his eyebrows. "i was just coming to see how you are"

oh.

"uh, i'm fine" i replied to the second thing instead instead of the first. i didn't want to answer that and i'm hoping he will just leave.

"where you going?" he asked again.

"just-i'm- just going to uh- right, i'm
going to get some lunch" i finally said, i knew he wouldn't buy it because i stuttered and hesitated so much.

i hate officially hate myself, just being sarcastic, don't take that seriously.

he gave me that look that says, mhm, now tell the truth

"you know, i didn't take you, over the years i've known you, to go get lunch at six in the morning" he said.

"it's not six.." i said looking at my phone which indeed say it was six.

right, i woke up at four, i should've left sooner.

the flight was at three and i forgot about it.

"you don't lie, lily, where are you going?" he asked me seriously.

"home" i mumbled.

"you're going back to him?" jack asked confused and with a little anger in his voice.

my eyes widened, as i saw what he meant.

"oh god no" i said quickly.

"oh, thank god" he said sighing of relief.

"so, you're going to omaha then?" he asked in a more of a whisper.

"i can't stay here, i'm kind of on a schedule, since i'm driving there so um, is it okay if i go now?" i asked.

"you're driving to nebraska alone?" he asked me looking at me like i was crazy.

"yeah" i said.

"you're going to drive for twenty three hours?" he asked me.

"is there a problem? i'm obviously going to take stops" i said.

"you're insane" he said. he was coming closer to me.

his face only inches away from mine, "i'm coming with you" he whispered.

my heart beating faster and faster.

i backed away. "no, you're not" i stated.

"lillian rose jacobs, i'm your bestfriend, i've known you for eleven years, i'm not letting you drive for twenty three hours alone, it's not happening, i promised your mom i'd protect you with my life so you can't say no" he said.

wait, when did that happen?

"you promised my mom?" i asked him.

"before i left for tour, i ran into her on the street and she knew i liked you, she told me, that she would gone soon.. she wanted me to protect you like i always have." he said.

i smiled lightly at that, my mom always knew when guys had crushes on me before i knew and even themselves i guess. she always told me, she wanted me and jack to date and have the perfect wedding.

i just wish she was here now, she could see how far we got. she'd be so proud of me, i just know it.

"did i say something wrong?" jack asked quickly and that's when i realized i had tears rolling down my cheeks.

i smiled, lightly only.

"no, i was just-" i stopped myself because he knew.

he knew i was thinking about her and how much she'd be proud of me.

"she would be extremely proud of the amazing girl you still are. i know she's watching you and she's probably crying over how much she loves you." jack said.

"you can come, god i hate you sometimes" i said.

"i knew you would let me, shall we leave?" he asked with a smile on his face.

"i guess" i mumbled and with that we got into my car, and jack drove for awhile, then i would drive later on.