Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"He'll bleed to death..." bulong ko sa aking sarili habang pinagmamasdan ang lalaking nakahiga sa malaking kama. The atmosphere of the surroundings warns me that something bad is going on. Ganunpaman, nanatili akong nakatayo at nakasilip sa bintana ng mga Monterio.

He's taking deep shaky breath and looks like he's going through a lot of pain right now. Biglang kumirot ang puso ko para sa kanya. Mas hinigpitan ko ang hawak sa basket at pinilit na pakalmahin ang sarili.

I should call someone. What should I do?

He cracked one eye open and scanned the surroundings. I froze. Dumako ang kanyang tingin sa akin. Imbes na magtago ulit ay nanatili akong nakatitig sa kanya. His eyes finally met mine. Even from afar, I could say that it's a beautiful swirl of black and gray. His intense eyes drilled me even if it's just a few seconds of staring at each other.

I was about to open my mouth when I heard a noise outside.

Mayamaya pa ay bumukas ang pintuan. Kaagad akong yumuko. A group of men in black suit entered the room. The boy groaned in pain. Sumilip ako nang bahagya. A tall woman in a white lab coat was pushed inside the room. Nakapiring ang kanyang mga mata.

I frowned. What's going on here?

The woman stumbled inside, almost losing her balance. One of the men grabbed her by the shoulders and dragged her towards the direction of the bed. Isa na namang matangkad na lalaki ang pumasok sa kwarto. A younger man also entered the room. All of them are wearing black and expensive-looking suit.

The middle-aged man nodded at one of his men. Tinanggal nito ang blindfold ng doctor. The woman stared at the helpless boy in front of her, her eyes widening.

"Operate him." nangilabot ako sa tinig ng lalaki. Siya ba ang sinasabi ni Mama na si Sebastian Monterio? Ang may-ari ng mansiyon na ito?

"Where am I? Bakit niyo ako dinala dito?!" The woman gritted her teeth. She contemplated for a second but examined the boy for a while, staining her white lab coat. "This looks bad. He needs to go to the hospital."

"He can't go to the hospital." Mariing wika ng lalaki sa kanya. "Operate him, Dr. Acosta and I will let you live."

"I need my team!" the woman shouted angrily. "Surgery is done by team. Hindi ko ito makakaya mag-isa!"

One of the men slapped her in the face for shouting at him. I flinched. The woman clutched her reddening cheeks and glared at them, blinking back the tears that are forming from her eyes.

"You are the finest cardiac surgeon in Davao, Dr. Nyle Acosta. How can you not operate on him?"

"I need at least an anesthesiologist and a scrub nurse." She muttered under her breath.

"Fine, we have a nurse here." Binalingan niya ang lalaki sa tabi niya. "Zian, call Dr. Atamosa."

The man nodded and pulled out his phone, talking quietly. Matapos ang ilang minuto ay ibinaba niya rin ito. "He's on his way, Mr. President."

"Good." The man shoved his hands on his pocket. I could hear the faint breathing of the young man bleeding on the bed. The woman named Dr. Acosta removed her white lab coat. Pinunit niya ang manggas nito at itinali sa sugat ng lalaki sa paa upang patigilin ang labis na pagdurugo.

"Just behave accordingly, Dr. Acosta and you will get out of here alive..."

The woman clenched her jaw but did not answered. Mayamaya pa ay nakarinig ako ng busina ng kotse. Kaagad akong nagtago at naghintay ng ilang minuto sa likod ng mansion bago ako sumilip muli sa bintana.