Our Connection

Rey's P.O.V.

"We're almost there, but it's getting dark, we should set up camp." Poe says looking at the sunset in the distance.

"With what? We brought nothing with us." Finn asks.

"I'm always ready for an emergency. In case something like this happened, I hid some tents and can food right about..."
He walks to a coral reef and looks behind it. "Here." He lifts up three tents and a bag of food. "Well, that's convenient." Finn says rolling his eyes.

Poe throws them on the sand and looks at us with his hands on his hips. "So who's bunking with who?"

"I'll go with Rose, obviously." Finn says.

Everybody gives him a concerned look. "We're not gonna do anything!" He says putting his hands up.

Everybody roles their eyes, including Rose, and they they start to set up the tents.

"Wait, Rey, who are you gonna bunk with?" Poe asks.

"Actually, I was hoping you don't mind if I bunk alone. I'm just not really in the mood to be around people right now."

He nods his head. "I understand. Here." He hands me one of the tents and I make a little distance between me and the other tents. I start to set up mine around a campfire and a long log so I have something to sit on and stay warm. The log is placed weird compared to the fire, the edge of it is faced towards the fire and not the long side but thankfully the tent is huge so it can fit.

Almost 20 minutes later, I'm done setting up and go to see if the others need help.
"You guys need any help?" I ask walking over to Poe.

He looks at the tents. "Nope, I think we're good, but we're gonna set up a fire and chill a bit, if you wanna stay a little?"

"I'll stay a little to watch the sunset."

"Great."

We all sit on the ground, watching the sky. I put my hand in the sand. It feels nicer than the sands on Jakku. This sand is a lighter shade too, almost white. There are times that I wish I could go back to Jakku, but what would I have there? Unkar Plutt making me work even more since I escaped? Being almost starved to death? Maybe I should have taken that offer that Kylo gave me, but that would be so selfish of me. I just wanted him back. I wanted Ben back. But every-time I get close, I get pushed back farther than before. 

I look at Finn and Rose. They're laying on their backs with Rose's head leaning on Finn's shoulders. I can't help but to think that could have been me and Ben. I take a deep breath and look back at the sky. It's beautiful. The pinks, purples, oranges, and blues all blending together.

We all sit there in silence admiring the sky until it fades to black and the stars come out. I get up and wipe the sand off of my attire. "I'm going to go sleep now."

"You sure, Rey? You can't stay a little longer?" Finn asks.

I shake my head. "I'm really tired and I need some sleep right now."

He nods. "Okay. Good night, Rey."

"Goodnight." Poe says smiling slightly.

I smile back at both of them. "Goodnight." I turn around and walk to my tent.

I light the fire in my tent to keep me warm as I sleep. I sit down on the edge of the log, facing the fire. I put my head in my hands and rub my face. After everything that just happened. After everything he just did. Why do I miss him? I should hate him. I do, but I don't. Life would be much easier if I did, but my life is never easy.

All I hear is the laughter coming from Finn, Poe and the others in the distance and the crackling of the fire, giving the tent a warm glow. I sigh. Suddenly, their laughter goes away and so does the crackling. All I hear is my breath, and somebody else's. I feel someone sitting on the other side of the log. I know exactly who. We turn around at the same time and look at each other. Tears start to well up in my eyes at just the sight of him. He looks just as shocked to see me as I am. There's silence as we just hear each other's breath. "Rey.." He starts to say.

"No! You don't get to speak! After everything you've done, you have the guts to connect us? Why? To rub it in my face? Well, I'll save you the trouble. Finn, Poe and Rose are still very much alive and so are many others."

"I never connected us. Rey..."

"No, I'm not done."

"-Rey!" He yells and I stop talking. "Let me speak." I sit there waiting for him to continue.

"I didn't want to do that."

"But you did."

"I know. I regret it. I regret everything."

"Of course you do now. I've left you."

He looks at me with sad eyes and for a moment I believe him. I stare at him, pulling back into him, but I shake my head and bring myself back to reality. "No, I will not be tricked again."

"Tricked? Rey, everything that happened between us was real."

"Was it?"

"Yes, I never would have offered you the galaxy, I never would have offered for us to run away and I never would have kissed someone I don't lov- care about. Rey, it's not too late." I swear he was about to say love. In a way, I wish he did, but that would just make things more complicated.

"I can't. Not like this..."

"I thought that's what you wanted, to be important. Powerful." I get up and walk closer to him. "Don't you get it? I never wanted power! I wanted you... Just you." I say with tears streaming down my face. He looks up in shock from what I just said. He gets up but then sighs deeply in a depressed way. "Well, it's too late now... isn't it?" He asks looking deep into my eyes.

"For us, it is." Even more tears stream down my face. His hand reaches out and touches my cheek. He moves his thumb under my eye and wipes the tears away. "I'm sorry, Rey." He then fades away slowly. I stand there staring at the wall behind from where he was, still feeling his warm palm against my face. I close my eyes and focus so I can remember his touch.

The next moment, I lay down next to the fire and stare at the ceiling of the tent and wonder, will I ever get over him? I don't think I will. One moment, I hate him, the next, I never want him to leave. We've been through so much. So many memories and I have a feeling our connection will never go away.