? Birthday Boy

Fluff!

~~

Birthdays were overrated.

At least, that's what Tyler Joseph thought.
Birthdays were just... a reminder, to him.

"Congratulations! You're still alive!"

Yeah. Staying alive  wasn't a huge problem for Tyler; he was okay at it. The occasional  breakdowns and sad thoughts were there, but there's so many young people  - people of any age honestly - who have that. It wasn't special. It was  normal and it was okay.

Thing is, that staying alive could be so boring if you didn't have any friends.

To Tyler, his birthday was a reminder of how he had 365 days - sometimes 366 even - to make a friend, even if it was just one, but he failed once again.

To Tyler, his birthday  was a reminder of how he was getting close to finishing high school and  trying to go to college or university, to start his adulthood and future  and

To Tyler, his birthday  was a reminder of how he was throwing away the years in high school that  were supposed to be your best memories you'd make in your life, thanks  to friends.

But since he didn't have  them, high school wasn't that fun either. And he just hated that he  wouldn't have great memories of high school to look back to.

He hated that he was  gonna become an adult pretty soon and he'd have just skipped all the fun  things he could've done with friends in his younger years.

He hated that his  anxiety was too bad to go up to someone and befriend them, and he hated  that no one ever came up to talk to him or befriend him either. Only if  they had homework questions.

He also hated that he didn't have any friends to celebrate his birthday with. Just his parents and siblings. That's it.

They were his best friends.

Lastly,  he hated the idea that he might never be able to make friends. Not in college, not when he'd get a job, nowhere. He couldn't make them now, so he probably wouldn't make friends later either. He'd probably die of  friendlessness, aka lack of friends, if that even is a word. ((Friendlessness is a word according to autocorrect wtf))

But, you couldn't miss something you never had, right?

Right.

He'd just... he would like to have a friend. He didn't miss it. Probably. He guessed.

Tyler sat down in the  cafeteria in school at a table on his own and sighed. He grabbed his  lunch box and lightly rolled his eyes but softly smiled nonetheless, when he saw what was inside.

He picked the cupcake without buttercream on it up.

"Happy birthday Ty! ♥️" said the messy letters written on the cupcake.

"Thanks again, momma", Tyler muttered as he undid the cupcake from the paper wrapper around it.

He knew he wouldn't be actually celebrating his birthday today since it was a school day.  They'd celebrate his birthday in a few days, on Saturday.

So actually, this day was just like any other day.

A normal day, but with a cupcake and a birthday wish from his family, and a present from his siblings. That was it.

Knowing his mother, she knew that Tyler's favorite little cakes were filled with raspberry jelly and he couldn't really wait to eat it after the rest, so he took a big bite from the cupcake, smearing the blue substance that once said "happy birthday" against his nose.