Renewing Water

Warning sexual scenes ahead

Maliha's hand shook as she clenched the blade in her hand. The trees rustled, and animals howled and wailed, all the while her heart thumped with every screech that rattled into the night.

Her feet were planted deep into the ground as she stood protectively over Enzo. Her body was tense in preparation for an attack. Footsteps crunched into the earth, getting louder and louder the close they came to her tent.

She bent her legs and as soon as the flapped moved open she punched. Her knife swung high as she prepared to stab the intruder only to halt when she realised it was Ujarak.

"Ciur needs you. She's in labour."

Maliha's knife clattered to the floor and her body deflated. Her heart thudded with dread at what his words meant.

"Where is Makula?"

Maliha couldn't do this. She had done it once and the pressure of knowing that a life was in her hands had terrified her. She couldn't do it again.

"She is there as well but she needs help and Darsan has never done this before. You are the only person that Ciur trusts that has experience. She needs you."

"Okay," Maliha murmured, her hands shaking with fear.

"Okay, but we need to move Enzo."

Maliha couldn't fathom the thought of leaving Enzo unattended and was relieved when Ujarak agreed without any hesitation.

"I will take him to my sister."

Maliha nodded noncommittally, her hands wringing together as she waited for Ujarak to lift up Enzo and take him to Nahi's tent. She was wide awake when they approached her tent, her bleary eyes wide open as her daughter suckled at her chest. They left Enzo sleeping in her tent and then headed to Ciur's.

"It will be fine, reassured Ujarak.

As soon as the door flapped open, Maliha released her clasp on Ujarak's hand and shot into action. The tent was set in gloomy shadows as the fire flickered and provided the home with dim light.

"Maliha," Ciur sobbed, "I think there is something wrong with my baby."

Maliha's mouth burned in terror but she tried to hide her emotions.

"There is nothing wrong," Maliha reassured Ciur as she washed she her hands and then made her way over to the woman.

Sweat glided down Ciur's skin in rivulets and clung to her night clothes.

"Let me have a look."

Maliha's hands trembled as she first touched Ciur's stomach to feel where the baby was positioned. Her hand then glided in between Ciur's legs to see how far along she was.

Maliha tried to hold back the grimace of dread as she realised that the baby felt quite large. Though she didn't think it would be an issue for Ciur, Maliha now understood why Makula had called her over. Two hands were always better than one especially with the size of this baby.

"You're both okay."

Ciur sobbed in relief and then gripped her sisters hand tightly. Xiuri stroked the frazzled pieces of her sister's hair away as N'tan kissed Ciur's face in support.

Maliha was sure that she had only repeated exactly wat Makula had probably told Ciur, but the expectant mother needed to hear it twice over and from a second voice.

"Let's get you comfortable."

Maliha helped Ciur strip out of her thin night gown and told Kamir to open the flap so some cool air could enter the sweltering tent. She dipped some cloths in cold water and began wiping Ciur's body down with it. The repetitive swipes of the cloth took Ciur's mind off of all that could go wrong with the birth.