𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. When All Hell Breaks Loose

As soon as the Innovation Centre came in sight, Kate hit the brakes and soon brought the bike to a stop. Both of the Gradys climbed off and waited as the van pulled up next to them, and soon Claire emerged with her nephews. Together, they looked up at the ever-bustling-building now so eerily vacant. The same building that housed the Innovation Centre on the ground floor, provided enough room for Control centre and the laboratory on different floors above. They just needed to get to rooftop where the helipad was located.

The silence and the uncertainty, more than anything scared them all, so it was not surprising when both of Owen and Kate drew their rifles and led the way inside. They ventured on in a herd, keeping silence and a careful watch around.

It was just the same inside: eerie silence and empty, gloomy, ill lit halls welcomed them, their quietest footsteps were the only source of noise in here. It had to be because of switching to emergency protocols that only half of the lights were in use, and all this vacantness only gave off a strange stifling sense, as if they were tress-passing somewhere they were not supposed to without any regards to its risks.

"No one is here," timidly commented Gray.

Claire nodded, "They must have evacuated already."

Kate stared after her. If the staff members had evacuated already and everything was switched to emergency, she wondered, although it would not really differ much, if they could find the elevator functioning, or would they have to take the stairs to the roof?

"We'll get out of here though, right?" whispered Zach hesitantly when he found himself walking alongside Kate. "Somebody is coming for us, right?"

In response, she smiled and nodded reassuringly, knowing he was as anxious as any of them about getting out of here.

The seconds were passing by and they were starting to loosen up; a curious Gray was peering at interesting things on their way while Zach stayed after him, and Kate, slinging her rifle over a shoulder, joined the duo. Claire at the back was following after them absentmindedly, when Owen slowed down to a pause. Next, he raised a hand to warn the rest of them to a halt when he thought he heard something.

The source of sound revealed to be a couple of soldiers as they appeared and disappeared soon after, carrying specialised containers full of vials and ampules, barely acknowledging the presence of the five of them. It took not more than a second for Claire to realize what was going on. "They're evacuating the lab!" She exclaimed incredulously, then marched inside whence the soldiers had emerged. Kate followed after her only to find the last four soldiers carrying a heavier container and walking past them busily and soon disappeared.

"Who's doing this— why? Upon whose orders?!" Claire looked exasperated, but then she sighed as the answer came to her with a frown.

Not long after, they found themselves in another lab room as Claire guided them through a shortcut. There were variety of stuffed creatures in here, fossilised dinosaurs and embryos floating in certain liquids in different jars, and eggs of different sizes that none of them could help their fascination to stop by these shortly; even Owen was staring at a particularly peculiar slimy creature in another jar. While some of those looked somewhat fascinating, the rest of it looked pretty creepy, intimidating and unnerving. Gray was sometimes bending on his kneees, sometimes tip-toeing to look at them closely while Zach lingered around Kate, looking at the insides of jars on a few cabinets that showcased not only stuffed dinosaurs species, but also different other reptiles like snakes, frogs and what not, almost forgetting the grave situation that they just escaped from. It was not until hearing her words had anyone noticed when Claire had left their company.