TWENTY-ONE |

Bold-Underlined-Italics
= Small FlashBack

Bold = Letter/Written Words

Y/n's POV

"Really?!" I ask.
"How come none of us live up there? Why did you leave?" I keep piling on the questions.
She chuckles.
"I always knew you'd be the perfect one to bring here."
I blush.
"She wasn't lying." I can't faintly hear her mumble.
"Who?" Her head shoots in my direction.
"What?" She looks oblivious to where my question came from.
"Nothing." I say.
"Anyways, again I cannot tell you much. I guess I'll tell you why I left though." I move in closer so I can hear her better.
"What's up there couldn't know about me and my......friend existing."

Why does she have to be so vague?

"Just know that if you ever need to get away that you can come here." I lean down and pick up a flower.
"That's called a Daisy." Miss. Fischbach says.
"Let's pick some flowers before the sun sets." I give her a confused look.
"The yellow thing in the sky is called the sun. It would take me years to explain to you everything about the world."
While picking flowers the wind picks up.
"So this is why we don't get much wind. Because it has to come all the way down the tunnels from here." She shakes her head yes.
"We should be heading back before your mother or the protectors find out your gone. I don't want to be arrested." We laugh and turn around, walking back to the quarters.

As we reach my mom's place I can see three Protectors.
One at the front door, one across from my window, and one walking around the whole place.
"I'll go distract the one by your window. When I say 'dark' you run." I nod.
I press my body against the tunnel wall to hide myself as Miss. Fischbach walks over to the man.
"Hello Sir, what a lovely night it is." The man doesn't say anything in response.
"Sinuous know the way to the second quarter from here? I was visiting my friend here and can't find my way back because I can't see." The man turns and points in a direction.
"Thank you so much! I didn't bring my glasses and it's just so dark."
Quickly, I push my body away form the walls and sprint to the window. I'm about two feet away from it when the Protector who's been walking around the house turns the corner. My eyes grow to the size of a medium hole in the ground. Without even thinking, my legs push off the ground and catapult me toward the window. I land on the ground right in front of it and curl up into a little ball as I slam my body against the houses wall.
The must of heard my footsteps because he stops walking.
But he doesn't just stop anywhere; he stops right next to my head. I can feel my heart speed up and adrenaline course through my veins.

Stay calm.

Trying not to be heard, I focus all my energy on keeping my breathing steady.
"Probably my imagination." He whispers and continues to walk again.
Once he's out of sight I sigh and look over to where Mark's mom was talking to that other Protector. She seems to have noticed what happened and continues to distract him.
In one quick second I'm on my feet and jumping into the house.
A grown crawls up my throat as my body hits the hard concrete.
I stand back up as soon as I hit the ground. I look out the window and see Mark's mom wink at me. I smile and wave to her as she walks back to her own home. When she's completely gone I sigh again and let my body fall onto the very uncomfortable bed.
"What am I going to do?" I whisper to myself.
"Y/n." My mom opens the door.
"What." I more demand than ask.
"Tomorrow we're moving to the far side of the fourth quarter."
I roll my eyes as she closes the door.
"What the hell am I going to do?" I repeat.
"If I go anywhere the protectors will find me. They might even arrest Mark, saying he kidnapped me." I burry my face into the rough cloth.
"Uggghhhhh!!" I basically scream.

I wish I could go back to the sky. The flowers were so beau-

When a choice comes,
choose beauty over love.

Realization smack me right in the face like walking into a brick wall.

That person wants me to leave the Systems.
They want me to leave everything and everyone I love, and go to the sky.

I get off the bed and look out the window.
"That Protector seems to be dozing off." I mumble.
Putting my hand into the pockets of the black sweatshirt that I forgot to give back to Mark's mom,  I feel something.
Pulling out the items, they're a pencil and a piece of paper.
"Weird."
I put the paper against the wall and start to write something for Mark and Jack.

Dear Mark and Jack,

I'm sorry that I have to leave.
You're probably wondering where I even went last night.
My mother told the Leader that she thought you were a bad influence.
They tried keeping me here, but I won't stay.
If I came back home they would find me and probably arrest you.
The sky has been calling my name for as long as I can remember. So that's where I'm going.
Don't come looking for me.
One day I'll be back.
That could mean a few days or years.
You get were my family and it's sad that I have to go. You were both like close brothers to me.
Tell the Doctor that I had to go. Hopefully she understands.

With Love,

Y/n

After signing my name I fold the paper. I'm gonna slide it under Mark's door. Shoving the paper into the pocket of the sweatshirt, I glance out the window again.
The Protector is fast asleep and the one who walks around hasn't come by since I had that close encounter with him.
Gripping the pencil I write one the wall before climbing out.

I'm not sorry.