Epilogue

Epilogue:

twelve years later:

“Congratulations Angel, baby!” I cooed, wrapping my arms around my little sister. I had moved out when she was seven, but the girls had moved out with me, my mom didn't object, apparently the promotion the Sun company had given her to keep her mouth shut to the press was the escape she had been looking for, and was then far too busy to deal with the girls, at first the girls had been hurt over our mothers rejection until they got to our new house, right across from the Burton's house where his parents still lived and I got to watch her grow from the golden haired cherub I had always sworn would make a Botticelli angel get plastic surgery over into the tall and strikingly beautiful girl she was today. Angel was going straight from high school in to modeling, refusing to model family clothes her first three years though, just so the press and other models couldn't rightfully accuse Ian being the reason she made her brake in the profession, and yes, my wonderful husband of the last ten years was, indeed a clothes designer. After high school he realized just how much he loved clothes, loved fashion, minoring in it at the local college, his designs were noticed by a writer for Vogue, everything was up hill from there for us.

“Thanks, daddy.” she sniffled, gently wiping her eye in the way I had taught her to keep her eye liner from running. She had started calling me dad when she was eight and had never grown out of it and even now, after nine years it still made me tear up from time to time.

“We're so proud of you, sugar-pie.” Ian sniffed and crushed Angel in a hug.

“Poppy, you're going to wrinkle my dress!” she whined, but couldn't quite manage to not smile. “Where's Jade, Sapphire and James?”

I looked around and sure enough, Jade was currently sucking face with her girlfriend Tiffany, yes, that Tiffany, Tiffany Burton a crazy red headed goth that had snagged my cheerleading sister/ daughter four years ago, they came out together, shaking from head to toe, but nobody was willing to pick on them with Ian and Nico hovering bouncer-like in the background, so it was smooth sailing for them. I was there too, but even as a twenty nine year old man, I could still walk in to the high school and be asked for my hall pass while Ian resembled every gay boy and mans wet dream, all muscles and toned tanned skin. Mm....got side tracked there, sorry, Sapphire came out of the closet too, but had yet to find a good steady boy or girl as the twins were bi, Jade fussed when we called her bi, saying that her and Tiffany would be together forever just like daddy and poppy, so she was gay.

Evan our hyperactive fifteen year old adopted son James was nowhere to be seen. “James?” I called, panic rose in me as I searched, I am the very typical gay mother looking for their too-pretty-for-his-own-good Nicaraguan son: frantic.

“James?” Ian called. I rushed off remembering all the times I had been bullied behind the back of the gym, not fifty feet away. As I raced closer I heard a muffled moan, sending my pulse racing.

“JAMES?!” I cried, running full blast, just as I was getting ready to knock the larger boy off James spun in front of him, holding his hands out as if to protect him.

“Move, I'm gonna kill him.” I heard my husband growl behind me, just as his anger started blossoming my panic began to fade and I really looked at my frightened son. His shaggy black hair was in a right state, as if he'd run his fingers through it a hundred times and there were no tears in his deep chocolate eyes, he didn't have a scratch on him, but his clothes were twisted having definitely been yanked around. He was blushing like crazy and his already plump lips were moist and swollen.

“Ian., dear,” I said, placing my hand on his arm, he snarled at the boy behind our son, too shell shocked to move, his own mouth wet and swollen with a fresh hickey on the right side of his neck another two fading away on the left side. “I don't think James was being bullied.”