Scene 7

They met four months ago.

Ariel started ignoring Demetria two months ago.

The party was a month and a half ago.

They have been missing each other ever since.

Ariel thinks back to everything that has happened these past few months. Things moved so fast with Demetria. She was falling for her before she even realized it. She tried to backpedal, but it was too late.

Ariel changed her English class so she didn't have to face Demetria. She realized what she'd done was wrong and unfair to her. She wanted to pull herself out of Demetria's life for good.

Only she couldn't. She was always thinking of her. She was always wanting to call.

She couldn't deny her emotions anymore. When she finally let herself feel and accepted herself, her need for Demetria simply grew and grew. She would think of her every waking moment. She would imagine her voice, her smile, and her laugh. She would think of her unfunny jokes and the funny ones, too.

She wanted to let her go. She really did. But she knew it wasn't going to happen.

So she finally makes her decision.

———

Her phone rings loudly. She scrambles to answer, her heart beating rapidly.

"Ariel?" she asks breathlessly. Demetria can hear her breathing on the other end.

"Demetria?" Her voice is soft.

"Ariel," Demetria whispers, her heart clenching. She doesn't know how to feel. She's relieved to hear her voice again, but she also doesn't know what to say.

"Demetria," she says again, her voice quivering.

"What is it?" She's scared that Ariel will hang up on her. She's terrified of losing her again.

"I'm sorry."

Demetria lets out a breath.

Ariel continues, "I'm sorry for everything." She pauses, and Demetria can hear her breathing softly. "I kept denying my feelings and causing you pain. I want you to know that it wasn't fun for me, either, but that doesn't excuse what I did to you."

Demetria doesn't know what to say, so she doesn't say anything.

Ariel lets out a slow breath before saying, "I'm gay."

Demetria's heart is beating a mile a minute. Her face flushes slightly. This is happening.

"Demetria," Ariel says, making Demetria's heart skip a beat. "I'm gay, and I'm in love with you."