XIII. Lothlórien

Brightening light woke Rowan. The sight of golden leaves confused her for a second, before she remembered climbing the mallorn-tree the past night. Now assured of where she was, Rowan watched the golden leaves gently swaying in the breeze, mystified. The early sun filtered through the leaves and the pale-blue sky peeped among the branches. Songs of multiple songbirds echoed through the forest. It all looked and felt surreal.

Movement to her left caught her eye—Gimli sat up.

"Morning, lass," he greeted. "This is quite the sight to waken to."

"Morning. It is."

Boromir greeted her when she saw him bundling up the Elven cloak. She looked around for Aragorn, Legolas, or the three elves; none were in sight.

He answered the question in her eyes. "The others have already gone down."

When the trio descended, Aragorn and Legolas spoke with a golden-haired elf wearing shadowy-gray garments like the other elves. He hadn't been with the three elves up in the mallorn Rowan had slept in, but she knew who he was. The highly skilled and serious elf-captain of the Galadhrim played by the handsome Craig Parker. Haldir.

Their seemingly heated conversation continued in the Elven-tongue until Aragorn gave a curt nod, ending the talk, when the four hobbits clambered down their tree. The Ranger introduced Haldir and the elf by his side as his brother, Rúmil; he then named everyone in the Company.

At the mention of her, Haldir's eyes focused on Rowan. She held her breath, hoping he wouldn't hinder them because of his suspicion.

Luckily, he looked back at Aragorn. "Though you lack one of your company—which I am curious of—we will lead you through our land, as Elrond asked. But as agreed, the dwarf will go blindfolded with you and Legolas answering for him."

The news upset Gimli. "The agreement was made without my consent. I will not walk blindfolded like a beggar or a prisoner!"

"It is our law."

He planted his feet and crossed his arms. "I will go forward free like my companions."

Haldir looked ready to continue the argument, and Rowan knew Gimli would not relent. She remembered how he was convinced in the book. "Gimli, please! We will all pass blindfolded so you will not be isolated."

The elf looked at her, intrigued. Gimli laughed. "A merry troop of fools, we shall look! Will Haldir lead us all on a string, like many blind beggars with one dog?" He looked at the elf mentioned. "I will be content with that, but I shall claim amends for every fall and stubbed toe."

"We will not stumble," Rowan stated. "Haldir will lead us well." An elf bound a strip of cloth over her eyes.

Gimli grunted. "I trust you, Rowan; not so the pointy-ears."

"Our lady possesses foresight," Sam said from seeing the probable question mark over Haldir's head.

She felt the elf's gaze linger on her, but he didn't comment.

Once everyone was blindfolded, Haldir and Rúmil guided them deeper into the Golden Wood. Not being able to see, Rowan feared feeling the sensation of claustrophobia, but her worry wasn't needed because everything remained open around her—not crowding—and a breeze blew on her face. The fresh, woodsy scent of trees mixed with the aroma of flowers and the soft grass cushioned her feet. Her hearing improved too—a river flowed to her far right, leaves rustled overhead, and various birds chirped, twittered, and sang. Being blind wasn't so bad after all.

At some point, Rowan felt a difference in the air—it seemed alive; thriving with power. Frodo heard Lady Galadriel warning him of entering when he crossed the borders of Lórien in the movie, but didn't the Fellowship experience this in the book?