Chapter Six

Ryan looked on as the merman sitting across from him picked at the pieces of fish on the plate

Ryan looked on as the merman sitting across from him picked at the pieces of fish on the plate. It ate surprisingly quietly. Ryan cocked his head to the side, watching as it scrapped off the scales in a swift motion before guiding the food to its mouth.

Interesting. He thought, letting out a sigh before taking a sip out of his glass of beer. They'd gotten to his apartment about three hours ago, and it had taken some effort to guide the merman into the apartment complex since Omi kept stopping and looking about. The worst of it had been in the elevator, and the merman had clutched his shirt, refusing to let go until they got to their destination.

"How Is it?" Ryan asked, making Omi look up from the piece of fish he had in his hand. He stared at Ryan, unsure of what the man was asking.

"Do you like the fish?" Ryan asked instead after the brief spell of silence. Omi smiled, nodding as he guided the piece of fish to his mouth. Now that he understood. He had stared at the food offered to him oddly for a bit, wondering why the fish was glazed over and had a yellow tone, but Ryan had taken a bit of it, so Omi had tried it.

And he loved it.

Whatever was in the fish, and whatever had been done to give it the texture made it taste wonderful. He was so taken with the taste that he was eating as slowly as he could, not wanting to get rid of it all.

"If you want more I could always give you more," Ryan said, making Omi blink like he'd heard the best news in his life.

"More fish?"

"Yes, more fish," Ryan deadpanned, laughing when the merman's smile widened.

Ryan watched as the merman began to eat faster, and he smiled. His smile vanished when a thought crossed his mind. Does he need water? Ryan wondered, realizing that he wasn't sure where the merman was going to sleep. His fish tanks were tiny. A frown formed on his face as he tried to think up a solution, then one came.

He had a small pool set up somewhere in his storage. The material was like that of a tent, only it was in the shape of a small rectangular space of water. Ryan tried to remember how big it was. He didn't think it would fit in the patio, but if he moved the furniture around in the living room it would probably hold up.

"Fish?" The question made Ryan blink before turning his gaze to the man in front of him. His plate was now empty, and he was staring at the marine biologist with an expectant look in his eyes.

Ryan chuckled, shaking his head. "I'll get the fish," he said as he got up and headed to warm up a bit of the smoked fish he had made earlier in the week. He brought back a plate of fish for Omi, and the merman went about devouring the food.

"So, what do you need help for?" Ryan asked, watching as the merman picked at the last pieces of fish on the plate.

Omi looked up, gazing at the man in front of him. He couldn't help thinking about how tired the man looked. Or maybe it was just the way humans looked? The rough dull texture of their skin.