Chapter 8 (Part 1)

"I have to go out tonight, Meredith," Rush said as she was picking apart her last cookie.

They were the remnants of several platters of food that Rush had laid out for her. There had been so much that Mer was questioning whether he meant to stuff her like a thanksgiving turkey then cook her. This better not turn into some Hansel and Gretel nightmare. The guy had even laid out water and wine like she was choosing between her own kind and his, and she opted for water rather than drink something that looked like blood.

"Super secret vampire party? Do you need to tie me up or something?" Mer asked, unsure why he was telling her if he didn't plan to elaborate on what that meant. Man of few words didn't help if he didn't tell her what she needed to know.

"It is nothing so ceremonious." The edge of Rush's lips flicked up perhaps a millimeter in amusement. Or she was imagining it. "I merely have social obligations to the vampire hierarchy. The heirs noticed my absence for the last few days, and it is necessary to associate with them so they don't think that my family is plotting to kill theirs."

That sounded like a great foundation for friendship.

"So what do you want me to do? I'm guessing you're not dropping me off at mage daycare again. Not with them out to off me and whatnot." Mer sulked over her chocolate chip cookie bits. They were as crummy as her night had been.

"It is not abnormal for a vampire to have a human attendant or blood slave accompany them, if you might wish to come. It is just not likely to be a pleasant experience."

"Where exactly are you going?" That should have been her first question. Mer doubted they gathered for a D&D campaign each night, rolling dice and scribbling in stats.

"We meet at a bar to converse on pertinent matters, as well as drink together." Drink could mean nothing but blood, and Mer imagined a room full of vampires opening up human veins as they struggled to escape. "I am well fed, so you needn't worry about me doing anything to frighten you. It might prove a good learning experience for you though, to show you the true nature of my kind. My mild temperament is not common."

Rush was mild tempered? Lovely.

"I should go." Mer decided. The world of magic and monsters was opening in front of her, but so far she'd only peeked through the crack. It was time she threw it wide open and faced what she'd been hiding from for her entire life.

 It was time she threw it wide open and faced what she'd been hiding from for her entire life