0.6

[D A N I E L  S E A V E Y]

she replied.

she actually replied to the message that was never meant to be sent.

you know what she said? i forgive you.

she actually forgives me.

this whole time, i've been thinking she has been holding a grudge on me.

but now i can actually sleep at night, knowing she's not mad.

"hey daniel, i'm going out." i looked up to see jack poking his head in my door.

"and why does that concern me?" i asked, annoyed. though i wasn't exactly annoyed, i just haven't been myself since that day four years ago.

"i just thought you should know, since i'm going to go see elaina." i told me, a bit of annoyance rang in his voice.

my head immediately shot up, "you're what?"

"i'm going to go see elaina." he stated bluntly,  shaking his head.

i sighed and laid back down, "okay, bye."

he glared at me and left.

i don't be to be a rude ass hole, but it's hard not to be when you spend your day sulking in your bedroom. it's hard to be nice when your heart has a huge hole in it, that can only be filled by one and one thing only: the girl who's heart i broke. the girl who i broke.

[J A C K  A V E R Y]

i headed down to the mall and as i pulled up, i saw the girl i have always thought of as my fifth sister. elaina hope.

she's changed. a lot.

her hair is dyed black and her eyes are so dark that they could possibly pass for black. she looks... darker. 

when i got out of the car, i excitedly ran up to her and hugged her tightly. she was taken aback at first because a random person hugged her, but once she figured out it was me, she hugged me back.

"hey jack. i've missed you." her voice was almost monotone.

"i've missed you too, elaina." i said, kissing the top of her head as a brotherly gesture.

"i'm happy you still have your ramen noodles. now i don't have to change your contact name." she laughed, pulling away from the hug and ruffling my hair.

"i would usually be mad at you for messing up my hair, but i'll allow it, only because i haven't seen you in forever." i smiled, linking arms with her.

"shall we go?" she asked.

"we shall." i said. "food court?" 

"i haven't eaten today, so yes." she replied, giggling. her eyes were starting to turn lighter.

we went inside, arms linked, and went into the food court. we both got ihop, even though it was 5:15 pm. i got waffles and she got pancakes.

"so how's the band doing?" she asked, taking a bite of her chocolate chip pancakes.

"everyone's doing pretty good..." i trailed off, not really knowing if she would be okay with me talking about daniel.

"pretty good?" she asked, "i know you're probably talking about daniel, but it's not a touchy topic for me. it's fine." though when i said that, her eyes turned dark again. it makes her sad to talk about this, i can tell.

"well, you probably know how zach is doing, since you guys have been talking lately. corbyn and christina got married last year and they live down the street from us in their own house. jonah has a girlfriend named tate, and they've been together for three years. i've already told you about myself. then there's..." i started to trail off.

"it's totally fine if you talk about daniel. i don't know if i'm a touchy subject to him, but i am fine." she assured me, so i nodded. i knew she didn't want to talk about it, though.

"actually, you are a pretty touchy subject to him. he doesn't really like when people bring you up." i sighed, "but he's doing okay. he usually sits in his room all day on his phone. i've rarely ever seen him come out on his own. he's less enthusiastic at shows. he's just not himself anymore."

"what if that's who he is now?" she asked, cocking her head to the side.

"no, i know he's in there somewhere. his actual self comes out every so often, it's just very rare." i explained.

"ah, i see." she nodded, "shall we go walk around the mall?"

"we shall."

we got up from our table at ihop, paid, then walked to the upper level of the mall where all the stores were.

we spent many hours in the mall, until the mall closed and we both had to go home,

"i had a fun day today, avery." she smiled.

"me too, hope. i think we should do this again sometime." 

"definitely." she replied.

i gave her a small hug then went to my car.

~

"hey guys." i said, walking into our home.

"how was it? is she still the same?" jonah asked when i walked inside.

"she's... different in a way. looks and personality." i answered.

"what do you mean?"

"she dyed her hair black, and her eyes are so dark that they could be considered black. her personality isn't as bright and bubbly as it was when we last saw her. she's... darker." i responded truthfully.

"do you think it's because of..." he asked, looking up the stair towards daniel's room.

"yeah, i think it is. she asked me about you guys, and when i got to daniel, she looked down and her eyes went darker." i explained.

jonah wearily nodded, and i went upstairs, but i was stopped by daniel on the way into my room.

"hey, uh, how is she?" he asked, rubbing the back of his head.

"she's doing... okay." i responded.

"what do you mean 'okay'?"

"she's gone almost, dark." i explained, "she's dyed her hair black and her eyes aren't happy anymore, it's like they're filled with pain. just like yours. her eyes are almost black, just like your eyes are a dark gray."

he sighed and went back to his room.

they're both feeling pain.