One

CHAPTER ONE

The wind was harshly accompanied by bullets of water as the rain pummeled the window of the red truck. Oliver was watching as his home's landscape changed into the highway and regarded the hundreds of trees on either side of the road with nerves. The drive from the village he'd grown up in to Tokyo would be a day and a half. His mother had had to stay behind to work so they'd already shared their goodbye's and Oliver giving his mom the ten dollars as his father's truck had pulled up to bring him to Hazeline that morning, just as the sun crawled up the horizon.

Johnathon Corran was forty two years old. His eyes were blue and his blond hair had turned to a dusty brown from staying inside more often then letting the sun touch his face. He was the father of four children, Oliver, and three other children with the woman he'd been with for seven years now. After the divorce between John and Doreen when Oliver was nine, the blond always felt awkward around his dad. Who wouldn't be when they found out that his father was actually cheating on his mother with another woman and had other children. 

Oliver was never the same after he found this out, distancing himself from his father and only receiving Christmas presents of extra cash for the house. Now it was just the blond and his optimistic hardworking mother. 

"We'll stay in a motel tonight alright?" John said, glancing over to Oliver with his sunglass shielded blue eyes. 

"Sure." Oliver replied as they passed through a small city. It was almost dark out so they stopped for some food at the gas station. The blond walked into the small dingy store called Tom's and grabbed a sandwich and a vitamin water. He wasn't very hungry and at the last second he put the tuna sandwich back. 

"C'mon you gotta eat more than that, just 'cause it says 'vitamin' water doesn't mean it'll fill your stomach. Don't wanna get  y'erself sick now do you?" Oliver rolled his eyes at his father's slur, it was a natural thing to hear when John spoke because of his accent which always reminded the dancer of Americans. 

"Sorry John, I'll go pick something then." He grumbled. John didn't even flinch at the unhappy tone and use of his name. Oliver hadn't called him 'dad' since he'd found out about the divorce and all the details at the age of eleven. 

"Good, now hurry up we still gotta long drive 'til we get to the hotel." 

Oliver walked over to the junk foods and picked out a small bag of Lays Classic chips. "There." John sighed at his defiant son and tossed his own food: a sub, drink, smokes and a pack of beef jerky before paying and letting Oliver take his stuff. 

Even though they were father and son the only thing they shared was the genes. John had always been a crummy father to Oliver but when the truth had slipped out about his other family, the man dropped the act and treated Oliver like any other kid. "Don't tell me yer hungry later, I ain't buyin' you anything else 'til morning." He scolded as Oliver shoved in his earbuds. 

As the sun peeked out from beneath the horizon, the red truck's now filled gas tank started to deplete again as they continued their long drive to Hazeline Academy. There wasn't much of a view until they got into the more populated parts of the city. When they reached Tokyo it was nearing midnight and rapidly approaching morning. Oliver had given his father the silent treatment the entire drive, only eating his chips long long after the bag had been bought. That night they'd stayed in some three star motel and left at eight o'clock sharp.

It was only when they were arriving at Hazeline's parking lot as the afternoon settled in, that the reality of it all settled in. "I don't think I can do this.." Oliver said, his heart in his throat as John pulled up to the doors.