16: Trial by Jury

Start from the beginning

The trial started. Atty. Susan presented witnesses composed of Rooftop employees who testified that the accused was having drinks with her first victim in Los Angeles for a couple of days.

CCTV Footage is presented. The prosecutor states, "Exhibit A showed the accused personally attacked the victim on day 2 in the club before he was found dead 2 hours later."

"Objection your honor." Atty. Brune voices out. "Pushing is not an attack, it's merely an act of defiance".

The judge says, "Overruled" Also warns the defense not to disrupt prosecution for frivolous reasons. "The prosecution may call on the next witness".

The agents Lara Holtman and Brent Sherwood are also called in the witness stand for the murders of Simon Powel and Gemini Flynn. It is obvious that Lara is nailing the defendant while Brent stands on common ground.

"Do you believe that the defendant had reason to harm detective Powell or anyone she came in contact with?" The prosecure asks Lara.

Lara nods. "Yes. She's a manhater. She hated her father who left them when she's a teenager. She loathed her stepdad who ruined her mother's life leading to her death so she had no mercy to harm any man who got close to her. It's her impulse to kill men for revenge."

"Did the defendant harm you in anyway, Agent Sherwood? As we concluded you'd been on the case since the John Cargill murder." The defense lawyer asks.

Brent shakes his head. "No. She's always scared since the first day I met her."

"No further questions your honor." Atty. Brune sits down.

The trial proceeds for a span of 3 weeks, presenting witnesses from both parties.

When it's Alex's turn for the witness stand, the prosecution asks, "Did you ever harm any man Ms. Clayton?"

Alex cries as she reflects. "I did not kill Francesco. It's Angela Munsi."

The crowd roars in surprise. Judge O' Connor stamps on her gravel and says order in the court.

"So you are in admittance in murdering your first husband." Atty. Lacey follows up.

"Objection your honor. It's double jeopardy."

"Overruled." The judge announces.

"No further question your honor", the prosecutor leaves the witness stand.

The defense did not question the defendant but called her psychiatrist instead.

Dr. Macy Steele states that the defendant had consulted her after the death of her second husband. She can conclude that the defendant is suffering from mental illness. The traumatic experience of her childhood involving the death of her brother, divorce of her parents and death of her husbands trigger a split personality type. Once she changes her name, she's another person and has no relation whatsoever from her names in the past. Thereby, attesting on the defendant's line that Angela Munsi not herself as Alexandria May killed Francesco Tocci is a reference that the girl is confused mentally and psychologically.

"What's our stand? Will insanity plea release Alex?" Brent asks the Defense lawyers after a recess.

"It's the only thing that we could bargain for unless we can have another witness to testify that she can't really kill anyone." Ynna answers Brent.

Atty. Reite agrees. "Yes. That admittance in killing Francesco now weighs heavy on the jury against her. Though she was released from Italian court and cannot be tried again on the same crime here in Los angeles, the jury thinks that if she can kill her husband, she could kill anyone."