chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE

AVERY SAT WITH JAMES IN the hospital wing all night, waiting for him to get up

AVERY SAT WITH JAMES IN the hospital wing all night, waiting for him to get up. It was her fault he was in there; it was her fault he got hexed by Lucius Malfoy. She examined James' features as he rested.

His hair was natural messy, which made Avery smile. His hands were soft, which she knew because she hadn't let go of his hand since she'd sat down next to him. James' lips were full. They had to be Avery's favourite part of him, after his eyes.

"Merlin James, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault," she mumbled, squeezing his hand softly. "This shouldn't have happened to you."

"Ava?" James' eyes fluttered open, causing Avery to smile. She let go of his hand to hug him. "What happened?"

"Lucius hexed you with some strong ass curse. Derek and some other ravenclaw brought you here."

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Why the hell are you asking me if I'm alright?" James smiled at her.

"Because you look tried. Did you get any sleep?" Avery shook her head.

"I've been sitting here for a whole day, waiting for you to wake up." He smirked at her.

"You must really love me." She scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"No I don't. I was worried because, well, it was my fault you came over." James' smirk turned into a frown. He sat up, grabbing Avery's hand.

"Listen, I came over because you looked uncomfortable. I would let Malfoy hex me a million times in order to keep you safe." Avery blushed and pulled her hand back.

"We just started talking two weeks ago, not even. It's a little too early for you to care that deeply about me," she mumbled, picking at her nails.

"Do you remember what I smelled in potions class, the day we made the love potion?"

"Firewhiskey, strawberries and bananas, and something else." He nodded.

"Firewhiskey because we both had a lot during our 'one night stand'. Strawberries and bananas because that's what your lips taste like, well, that and the firewhiskey. I don't know what the third thing is, but I smell it whenever I'm around you." James' hand found it's way back to Avery's. This time she didn't pull away.

"James," she started, "Lucius and I broke up a few weeks ago. I'm not ready for another relationship just yet."

"Can we have another one night stand?" He asked, his smirking falling perfectly on his lips. Avery lightly pushed him.

"Potter! I only did that to help me move on. I'm not some sort of slut who fucks people when they ask!"

"You must admit I'm the best you'll ever have."

"James!" Avery exclaimed, bringing her hands up to her cheeks. He smirked at her once again. They sat in silence for a bit, Avery eventually breaking it. "Do you really like me?"

"Longbottom! I just got cursed for you the other day, of course I like you!" She smiled lightly, her fingers picking at her nails once again.

"Will you wait for me to be ready?" Avery asked, looking into his eyes. He nodded.

"As long as you need. I'll wait for you, always."

"Wow, I must be a really good fuck, huh?" She asked with a playful smile. James rolled his eyes in the same nature.

"By far the best I've ever had!" Avery smiled and stood up.

"I'll let you know when I'm ready."

"I'll be waiting!" James yelled as she left the hospital wing. What he didn't know was that Avery was smiling like a fool as she walked down the halls. James Potter had this power that made her feel butterflies in her stomach.