A New Start, My Derrière (22)

Chapter Twenty Two 

-----------------------------

"Hey sweetheart," I pick her up in my arms.

She whispers in my ear. "Zachy likes you and so do I"

"How do you know this sweetie?" I question

"He told me..." She says fiddling with the edge of her tutu.

"Oh really... can I tell you a secret?" I whisper

She nods frantically. "I like you too." I say kissing her forehead and putting her back on the floor; allowing her to run back to the living room with a smile on her face. 

I set the table and get out some old children's cutlery for Lily. I made sure her food wasn't as hot as the rest, I didn't want to burn that little mouth of hers. "Dinner's ready!" I call out awaiting the stampede of the hungry humans. 

My father takes the seat at the opposite end of the table to me. Aidan's on my left and the Taylor's are on my right. "Well dig in already..." I say shaking my head surprised that they hadn't already...

"So Zachary how old are you?" My father asks - Let the interrogation begin..

"17 sir"

"Just call me James son"

"James"

"Play any sports?" If you didn't do at least one sporting activity, my father would automatically take a disliking towards you.

"Soccer, baseball and swimming mostly. However I prefer other subjects to sports; as it's not the path I want to go down the future." Zach says putting ravioli in his mouth and does the same for Lily.

"So what do you want to do when you're older?"

"Something to do with expressive arts at the moment; though with my current grades my parents would've hoped I will become a lawyer or a doctor of some sort... However no one says I couldn't do both."

"What sort of expressive arts do you prefer?" God what's with these questions?

"Art and music Sir, James - sorry" Zach says with a slight blush

"It's fine son, classical music?"

He nods. Oh God please don't make him play something...

"Depends..." Zach says still feeding his sister.

"Depends?" Aidan asks - Great now he's joined in...

"On my mood and such, although I haven't played in a while though..."

"Well we do have a grand piano..." my father suggests.

"It was my mothers; she wanted me to have it." I pitched in

"Well I'm sorry, but I'd have to pass, maybe next time?" Zach asks with his perfectly white smile no one can resist.

"Of course, speaking of the piano - Vanessa you haven't played in a while." Aidan says smirking at me.

"Not been up to it." I say under my breath which gets everyone laughing.

"That's never stopped you before; you always draw when you say you're not up to it..." God Aidan never shuts up.

"Be quiet will you Aidan?you are getting on my nerves." I said through gritted teeth.

"Who wants desert?" I ask trying to change the subject. Everyone nods, "Aidan dishes," I say pointing.

"Whatever..." He mumbles, getting up.

I go to the kitchen grabbing the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer; I picked up the shortbread biscuits dusting powered sugar over them. 

"Zachy!" Lily squeals and holds out her arms.

"You finished?" He asks smiling.

"Yeah!" She says clapping her hands together.

"Okay then munchkin we'll go to the kitchen and get you cleaned up" He says picking her up.

"Good kid..." My father mumbles to himself.

"I've never seen him outside of school I mean keeps to himself a lot..." Aidan says

"He's a good brother to that little one..."

"Yeah unlike some brother ..." I say carrying the empty plates to the kitchen.

"I HEARD THAT!" Aidan yells

"GOOD!" I yell back

"What was that?" Zach asks with an eye brow raised.

"Just sibling rivalry, anyway thanks for helping tonight," I say putting the dishes in the dishwasher.

"You're welcome... you know that - actually never mind" He shook his head

"Go on what is it?" I ask

"Drake left last night"

"Oh okay..." he could have said goodbye at least...

"He wanted me to give you this." He handed me a box

"Thanks..." I say opening the box to reveal a pair of pearl earrings

"What is it?" Lily asked

"Just some jewellery..."

"Can I see pwease?"

"Sure" I hand her the box of earrings.

"Pwetty!" she squeals

"Yeah..." I say disappointed, but hey what girl doesn't love free jewellery?

She gives me back the box and put her tiny arms around Zach's neck "Piggy back!"

Zach turns around "Go on then!" He turns around and Lily jumps on his back legs going around his waist.

"Vanessa?" My father calls me from the living room.

"Yeah?"

"We need to fill in this space..." He says pointing towards an empty space on the wall.

"Another painting dad? I don't have time with all this school work..."

"I know, just saying... maybe after all your tests?"

"Sure..."

"Vanessa paints?" Zach asks

"Yeah, follow me..." My father leaves to go in to the hallway

"Dad -"

"Vanessa you shouldn't be shy about your work..."

"But-"

He just ignores me and shows our visitors the painting I did of the family. Like he does everytime we have visitors.

It was supposed to be a piece of art that included the whole family so I copied it off an early photograph.

"It's brilliant..." Zach says mouth gaping.

"Pwetty!" The voice behind Zach mentions

I check the time exactly eight, Zach's been at my house for over four hours.

Not saying that I didn't want him to go, I didn't, but I didn't want him to live here.

Did I? Nah I didn't.

Did I?

------------------------------

If you like this story:  

Don't forget to comment, vote and become a fan :)