Chapter Eighteen

For a whole week, Anna has been back and forth to the Shelby's. Between the letters and packages from her father, to the filed work in aunt Polly's study. Polly and Jane had been worrying about her, she was so deep in her work she barley spoke.

   "You know at first I thought it was just the aftermath of the attack, but something different is playing in her mind. I can see it in her eyes." Jane explained to Polly. They were setting up a fresh table cloth, as well as setting places for everyone for dinner. "Anna is barley audible here as well, spends all her time in the study." Polly says, shaking her head worriedly. "Not even to Thomas?" Jane curiously glaced to Polly. "They talk, however, he has to start the conversation."

+

   Thomas silently opened the study door. He poked his head in to see Anna hunched over the large wood desk. Her eyebrows were furrowed, cheeks red, and tense all around. "In or out Thomas." Anna called bluntly. He stood up straighter as he entered the room. He took off his cap and set it on the small coffee table in front of the couch.

   Anna raised her hands slightly, causing Thomas to cock an eyebrow at her. "I think I figured out what she is doing." She spoke before she laid her hands back onto the map that was sprawled out on the desk. Letters from her father scattered the corners on the desk and coffee table, tracking her mothers moves. "She's cutting through towns. Not making her normal rounds," She looked over to Thomas with her deep brown eyes, "she's coming straight here." Anna eyed the map, expecting something to jump out at her.

   Thomas came up close behind her, putting his hand over hers that laid over the map. She flinched, snapping her head around to look at him. He looked into her eyes, seeing them hard and determined.

(Don't even think like that young sir/ma'am)

    "Why don't you leave this to us dear." He suggested, more like demanded. Anna turned her body to him, ripping her hand from his. "Do you not think I can handle this?" She asked. Thomas held her gaze before looking to the side. He licked his lips in thought.

   Was it because he thought she couldn't handle it? Or because he wanted her safe?

   She scoffed, moving away from him to her glass that sat on the coffee table. It shimmered due to the light coming from the window behind the desk. "It is not that I don't believe you can handle this, I think you might jump into it to quickly." He admitted. She paused, the glass barley touching her lips.

   Thomas moved closer to Anna once more. This time he lightly wrapped his arm around her waist. "I want to take you somewhere."

~~

   "An empty field?" Anna asked as she stepped out of Thomas's motor car. As she moved forward, he shut her door. "You have built up anger," he paused as he lit up a cigarette, "This is a place to let it out." Anna narrowed her eyes to him. "I have own ways of releasing my anger." She states.

   Thomas nodded to her, taking log drags of his cigarette. "Then try something new." His voice was flat, showing no interest. Her cheeks turned pink and her stomach felt funny as she grew frustrated. "Just take me back to the house." She ordered. He smirked at her bright face. "No."

   Her eyes grew a bit wide at him. Thomas leaned back onto his car, watching her reaction. "What? Why?!" She asked loudly. Thomas closed his eyes  briefly before looking back at her. He finished his cigarette, stomping it.out on the ground. "Let out the anger." He said. Anna growled in frustration, turning away from him. "Why are you doing this?" She questioned. There was silence.

   Anna waited a bit more. She then couldn't take the silence, so she began walking. "Where're you going?" Thomas pushed himself off of his car beginning to walk after her. "Away." She answered. She picked up her pace, Thomas following her actions. "Anna you need to let things-" he was cut off by Anna screaming to the sky. She turned on her heel to face Thomas as he hurried after her. Once he came close to her, she lunged her arms out, pushing him away.

   "What do you want from me?!" She screamed at him. Thomas stared at her, surprised by her yelling. "I want to help." Anna scoffed at him. "Help? You're help almost had me raped!" She screamed. Anna went again to push him, but Thomas grabbed her hands. "I helped you get the information you needed! I helped you, I saved you from him!" He snapped back.

   Anna's watery brown eyes met Thomas's blue ones. "You can't save me from that memory! You can't save me from any of the memories that they burned in me! You can't save me!" She snapped. Thomas felt like the earth swallowed him. He watched as Anna struggled to keep in her sobs. His grip loosened on her small wrists, he felt...weak.

   Anna breathed heavily, warm salty water ran down her cheeks as she looked to the grassy floor. Thomas's hands slid up her arms to cup her warm face. His forehead resting on the top of her head. Anna held his wrists, not caring how close they were, not caring if she was crying, not caring that her heart was pounding.

   "What do you want from me?" She whispered out. His chapped lips softly kissed the top of her head, giving Anna goosebumps. "To be safe," he paused as he rested his forehead against hers now, "to not leave."

    Her eyes met his once again. He saw a light glow, making his body heat up. Anna breathed softly while she still gripped Thomas's hands. "I am sorry. I never meant for you to get hurt. I truly just want to help you." He softly spoke to her. She continued to stare up into his blue eyes. Seeing something she hadn't seen before. It made her heart flutter and relax. "Alright, I'll let out the anger," she paused as he gave him a smirk, one he soon fell for, "let me see your gun."

+++++++++

I know i haven't updated for a while. I have been super busy will drill team and then super exhausted. Thank you so much for being patient it means a lot. Enjoy this shitty chapter.