Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

7. And Then Gavin Showed Up

free chapter 7/7

Ryker

The bear wasn't as big as it could have been, but it would add to my freezer just the same. I cleaned and cut it without much thought as I dwelled on my supplies instead. I was running low on salt and butcher paper, maybe I could pick both up on my way back from Moscow. After all, I should have a hefty pocket of coin with me by then, if everything went according to plan. Not that I necessarily needed another bounty, but it would always be in my nature to want more.

More important than the supplies at my cabin, was finding out why Danica landed halfway across the world when she was trying to go somewhere in the United States. Whoever gave her that botched activation spell may have been legitimately bad at her job, or she may have had an ulterior motive. On top of that, I could tell Dani was lying about the wolves chasing her. Not that I had to worry about a pack or two coming after my bounty, I'd tear them to pieces first. But I was more concerned to know why they would want her in the first place. First vampires, now werewolves.

I sighed and tossed the last flank in the freezer. Washing my hands, I walked down the hill to the spring for my usual post-hunt soak. These thoughts were for later, when I could talk them out with Gavin.

I could smell her from here. Vanilla soap and the fading scent of sandalwood. It must be a scent from wherever she came from. Chicago, or her home. Under it was the distant scent of her blood. Spicy and familiar, but infuriating because I couldn't place what was familiar about it.

I reached the bottom of the path and snorted.

She had fallen asleep, her bandaged shoulder sinking into the water and her mouth was slightly open as she snored lightly.

I'd give her a chance to fix herself up before I got in. I stepped on a fallen branch deliberately, snapping it with a light crack in the air.

She startled awake, her eyes wide and I could hear the flutter of her heartbeat.

"Aw shit." She wiped the corner of her mouth with the back of her hand and grabbed one of the sweaters from the dry land behind her. "I fell asleep, didn't I?"

"Looks like it," I said, removing my jeans and kicking them to the side as I slid in the water. She was preoccupied pulling the sweater over her head.

"You don't have to ruin my good sweaters you know," I grunted. "I don't think it's going to be the same after getting it wet like that."

"Well I'm here for the warmth, I didn't sign up for a co-ed hot tub. I've made that mistake before," she said, laying her head back on the bench. "Just one drink Dani! It'll be fun Dani! We're all going to trespass and skinny dip on enemy coven lands Dani!"

I chuckled low as I stretched my arms out behind me, sitting across from her in the spring. "Your friends don't sound like a good influence."

She shrugged. "Maybe not but it was fun as hell."

"Enemy coven. Didn't you say you weren't in a coven?" I asked casually.

"I'm not. I hang out with an asshole warlock sometimes and he's the one poking around other territory. Besides, a coven of witches isn't going to call another coven the enemy," Dani said, and dramatically swooned to the sky. "After all, we are all daughters of the beloved mother and should love our sisters as our own family."

"You don't sound convinced," I smirked.

She made a fake gagging sound. "Let's just say they don't practice everything they preach."

"I see."

"Yup."

"For someone who wants to stay out of the magical community so much, I wouldn't expect you to befriend a warlock," I said.

icon lock

Show your support for Sabrina Blackburry, and continue reading this story

by Sabrina Blackburry
@SabrinaBlackburry
Dirty Lying Dragons is now published as a Hardback, and E-book with W...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 39 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @SabrinaBlackburry.