Chapter 19

We walk into the therapist office. My dad speaks up, "hi, my daughter has an appointment with Rachel Tempoli."

The receptionist nods, "okay, I'll let her know you're here. She will be out shortly."

We take a seat in the lobby and wait. Ten minutes go by and the door opens, "Miss Vinatieri?"

I stand up and look at my Dad. "I'll be right here when you come back sweetheart." I nod and make my way to the door. It closes behind me. I walk into her office. The walls are painted blue with two leather couches and an office chair, sitting to the side.

I look up at the lady and notice she has bright blue eyes and sandy brown hair. She reminds me of Aiden. She's probably about the same age, if not a little older than Aiden. She sticks out her hand, "Hi, Miss Vinatieri, I'm Rachel." I stick out my hand and shake hers. "Hi, you can call me Mia."

She eyes me, "that's a very pretty name. Why don't we start with telling me a little about yourself."

I nod and take a seat on one of the couches. She sits in her office chair, just across from me. I start telling her about my past. We talk about me being abused by my father and husband. I told her that he came after me and I shot him. I start crying.

She hands me tissues. "Mia, if you would like to stop today, all you have to do is say so."

I shake my head, "no, I have to do this."

She gives me a small smile, "Mia, this isn't a race. Rushing into things, isn't going to make your feelings disappear. It takes times."

I nod, "I know, but maybe if I talk about it, it will help me wrap my brain around what has happened and how I feel."

She hands me more tissues. "How do you feel Mia?" She asks.

I sigh, "I feel angry, sad, depressed, ashamed, hurt and....heartbroken." She looks at me stunned.

"Heartbroken because you killed your husband?" She asks.

I shake my head, "no, because I was mean to a person I cared deeply for, who hurt me. He's gone now." I go to explain everything that transpired between Aiden and I. I tell Rachel how amazing he is, but also how awful he was towards me during his anger outburst.

She takes a deep breath, "sounds like he has a temper."

I nod, "I believe he does, he's never hurt me physically and really not even mentally until that night he thought I used him, cheated and lied to him."

She nods at me. "How do you feel about it?"

I take deep breath, "I don't know. I don't know what to feel. One second I feel so angry at him. The next I remember every amazing thing he has done and I feel guilty for saying what I said. What do I do? Should I forgive him?"

She shakes her head, "Mia, that's not for me to decide. Only you can decide if you want to forgive him. But, I will say, you have a mild form of PTSD. I think it would be wise to focus on your mental health and forgiving yourself, before you can focus on any other relationship. Give yourself time. Remember it's not a race."

I nod and stand up, realizing my session is over. "Thank you Rachael. I feel better talking with you."

Smiles, "you're very welcome. Here, read this. It's about emotions." She hands me a pamphlet.

I walk out of her office and Bob stands up, hugging me. "How did it go?" He asks.

I smile and hug him back, "really well. I like her a lot." He smiles and we leave, heading back to Sophia's apartment.