When the Call Comes In

I sat in my room enjoying the comforts of my real bed. Yesterday, after we got home, was spent unpacking and reorganizing—I bought so much stuff while we were in Greece, I didn’t know what to do with it all. After I finished unpacking, I spent the evening cooking a huge “welcome home” meal for the family.

            Today, I decided, would be my day to relax. Maybe I could start a new book and lounge around in the Library. Or maybe I would go down to the river and soak up the less direct and harmful raying in our mountainous reach of the sun.

            The river sounded like a good idea. The river and a book sounded even better. Yes, I was really starting to like my day of relaxation, even if I was only thinking of the things to do.

The thought of bringing someone along crossed my mind but who? Walter was nowhere to be found. Michael had been gone since breakfast. Vincent and Lucas went off to have some twin time. The last time Caleb and I were at the river together was way back when I thought I might like him…. Jacob, of course, was down by the horses. And Zach had Blake over.

Oh! I could call Terra and see if she wanted to go!

            I grabbed my cell phone to dial Terra’s number but I noticed that I had a text message from Rebecca. I opened the message to see what she wrote:

­You were right. I can’t believe I couldn’t see it before!

                        You were so right!

            A tad puzzled, I wrote back with a simple question mark and continued on my original quest to call my dear, new friend Terra Holt whom I have not seen since leaving for Greece.

            I hit the number 4 speed dial and put the phone to my ear.

            The phone barely rang once before I heard Terra’s voice on the other end of the line.

            “Hey Jasmine!” she answered.

            “Hey!” I greeted. “What are you up to?”

            “I’m getting ready to help my dad with the yard work. I’ve been promising him for days that I would…. Why? What’s up?” she wondered.

            “I was going to see if you wanted to go relax with me down by the river but you’re busy. So then I will ask you how you’ve been. How have you been?”

            Terra laughed. “I’m good. Practice last week was killer. You’re lucky you missed it. How are you? How was Greece?

            “I don’t think I was lucky by missing practice. I’m probably stacked with a huge setback from not practicing all week…. I’m doing well, though. You and I will have to get together to talk about Greece.”

            “So Greece was really that exciting, huh?” she questioned. “I’ll come over tonight when I’m finished helping my dad.

            “Great. You can spend the night, too, if you want and we can go to practice together tomorrow,” I suggested.

            “Sounds good to me. I got to go now. See you tonight!” Terra bid.

            “Bye!”

            After I hung up, I sat and stared out of the window nearest to me. Looks like I will be going to the river alone.