VI

Three days had passed since the arrival of James Barnes and Steve Rogers to the kingdom of Wakanda.

Steve paced back and forth outside of the lab, chewing his thumbnail. Today was the day. The day he had to say goodbye. He knew that the Wakandans would keep Bucky safe and help him recover, but he had only just reunited with his friend, and he was going to be forced to let him go again for who knows how long.

The door to the lab opened and Ava stepped out into the hallway, drawing Steve's attention. The soldier stopped in his tracks, looking at her with anticipation. "It's time." She said softly, holding the door open for Steve.

He gave a single nod and went into the lab, followed by Ava. She stepped around him, showing him the way to the extended part of the lab that Bucky was in. Her eyes landed on the dark-haired man sitting on the edge of the bed, dressed in a white tank-top and white pants. A black cuff covered the remainder of his metal arm and he stared at the cryogenic chamber across the room that Shuri was prepping.

"Hey, Buck." Steve said as he came in, putting on a friendly face. He didn't want Bucky to know that he was sad to say goodbye again. He wanted Bucky to be happy before going under the ice, unlike the fear he felt every time he went under when Hydra had control of him.

Bucky shifted his eyes over to Steve, offering a sad smile. "Hey, Steve."

Steve shoved his hands into his pockets as he approached Bucky, glancing over at the chamber. Ava stood near the door and watched, letting them have their time together. "You're sure about this?" Steve asked.

Bucky glanced at the chamber once more before looking up at Steve, nodding slightly. "I can't trust my own mind." He said, his voice cracking softly. Bucky drew in another breath, shrugging. "So until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head, I think going back under is the best thing... For everybody." He said, glancing at Ava before returning his sight back to Steve.

Steve's lips ghosted with a smile, slightly nodding his head in understanding. "As long as you still think this is best." He clasped a hand onto Bucky's right shoulder, silently giving his goodbye. Bucky reached up, clasping his hand onto Steve's shoulder in return, tipping his head.

Ava clasped her hands together behind her back, looking down at her feet. She couldn't imagine the grief both men probably felt. She tried to imagine if that were her and Shuri. If Shuri was going to be put under ice, and Ava had to let her go. She sucked in a breath and closed her eyes, battling the stinging tears threatening to spill out.

"It's ready." Shuri said, drawing all of their attention. Ava opened her eyes and took another calming breath before approaching the chamber, next to Shuri.

Bucky and Steve released each other before Bucky stood up, slowly walking over to the cryogenic tomb. Steve stood back, watching as Bucky climbed into it, leaning back against the padding. Ava picked up the straps, bringing it across Bucky's chest and attaching the buckle on the other side.

Bucky watched her, and she tried not to look up at him as she strapped in his legs next. "These will keep you in place." She said, standing up and offering him a kind smile. She could see the hidden fear twinkling in Bucky's blue eyes, and she gently touched his arm reassuringly. "I promise we will help you as quickly as we can. You'll wake up in no time."

Bucky pressed his lips together, unsure of what to say. Instead, he opted for another nod as he looked up toward the ceiling. Hesitantly, Ava slid the glass door shut, locking Bucky into the chamber. She took a step back, watching as he closed his eyes.

A loud hiss came with the white fog of frozen air filling the chamber, ice crystalizing on the glass interior and freezing Bucky in a cryo-genic state. Steve fought back tears, not saying a word as he turned on his heel and swiftly walked away to find T'Challa. Ava, however, stayed put. Through the ice on the shell of the tomb, she could see his sleeping face.

He looked at peace.

"Readings are good." Shuri said, scanning over the monitors. "He's officially frozen."

"Good." Ava's quiet voice came out shakily. She turned away from the chamber, forcing herself to walk away, leaving Shuri to handle all of the mathematics.

The blonde woman walked at a brisk pace down the hall, out of the lab. She stared down at her feet, her fists clenching and unclenching at her sides anxiously. "Ma'am?" A voice behind her caught her attention.

Ava whipped around, spotting a tall, blonde man with broad shoulders. He stood in the hall behind her, his blue eyes full of mourning. Captain America, though he did not wear his stars and stripes uniform. He wore a gray t-shirt and a blue jacket with jeans. "Thank you." He said softly, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"What is there to thank me for?" Ava asked, tilting her head. She relaxed her hunched up shoulders and hooked her thumbs into the pockets of her clothes, trying to appear less high-strung. Steve obviously noticed, but didn't comment on it.

Instead, he shrugged, shaking his head. "For all of this. Helping Bucky, giving us a place to stay for now." Steve pressed his lips together in thought. "And for giving both Bucky and I the reassurance, that everything is going to be alright, that we needed."

A smile spread on her lips as she listened. She shifted her weight over her feet and cocked her head to the side. "You're welcome, Captain Rogers." Ava said softly.

Steve smiled in return and took a deep breath. "I have to get going soon. I'm leaving in the morning." He said. "I've got some friends that need some help."

"You're a good leader, then." Ava nodded. "I have a funeral to attend soon. And a ceremony for T'Challa to plan." A small chuckle escaped her lips.

"Good luck." Steve said, one corner of his lips upturning in a smile as he turned and walked away.

Ava watched him go, and once he disappeared from sight around a corner, she turned back to the way she was going and marched herself all the way out of the palace.

AN: Shorter chapter, but I think you guys will still appreciate it haha, Let me know your thoughts!