17

"You kissed my sister's face

"You kissed my sister's face."

I could feel my mouth drop open at the words and I watched as Jade's eyes went wide, face quickly turning red. Whether from anger or embarrassment, I wasn't sure.

I shared a glance with Ian, who had a shocked grin on his face. It looked like he was trying not to laugh, but couldn't manage to suppress the smile. I had to agree-- it was kind of funny.

"I- Well- Yeah," Roy stuttered, cheeks flushed with even more color than Jade's, "I mean, yes, I did. I did do that. How do you know that?"

The handshake broke as Matthew began to elaborate. "She wrote about it in her dia-"

"Okay!" Jade interrupted, springing into action and grabbing her brother by the shoulders, steering him out of the kitchen. "That's enough of you. Take this" -- she grabbed his laptop and shoved it into his arms, pushing him towards the stairs -- "and go be quiet. And do it in your own room!"

"What are you cooking, anyway?" he questioned, seemingly unbothered by being forcibly removed from the room. "And what for?"

"Do you have to know every little ounce of my business?"

"It smells weird," he justified.

"So do you," she said, shooing him away. He rolled his eyes, ascending the stairs, and I heard a door shut a few seconds later.

"Sorry, he's annoying," Jade apologized, coming back to the kitchen. I bit my lip to hold back laughter at the proud look on Roy's face, and looked to see Ian wearing a similar expression to mine. Jade didn't notice, avoiding looking at any of us as she got back to work silently.

"I think I should go up and talk to him more," Roy said. She shot him a look of confusion, so he continued, "He clearly has information that interests me."

She rolled her eyes, mouth breaking into a smile. "Shut up."

A few seconds passed before Ian broke, a laugh escaping him as he spoke. "Do you ever write about me in your diary?"

I practically snorted, letting out laughter against my own will. 

"Oh my god," Jade mumbled, covering her face with her hands. "Okay, yes, I have a diary, ha-ha. I'm glad you can all laugh at my embarrassment. God, I'm gonna kill him."

"It's not embarrassing," Roy corrected. "It's very endearing. What's embarrassing is being called out by a twelve-year-old for kissing you on the cheek. He looked like he wanted to punch me-- I think he's protective over you."

Jade laughed, shaking her head. "He is not. Someone could kidnap me right now and the only thing he'd be worried about is getting his game tomorrow."

The four of us continued to joke around as we worked, managing to reach our goal before it was time to go. We helped get the kitchen back to its clean state, making sure not to leave any evidence behind.