BOOK 2 // FIFTEEN: Think Fast

Start from the beginning

I looked around, but the glaringly obvious problem wasn't lost on me: there was nothing here. We were in the thick of the woods, with nothing by way of supplies except the remnants of a civilisation fifty years behind us, and there certainly wasn't a fully stocked first aid kit to be found hidden in a tree trunk. Ideally, I needed bandages, but nothing short of a miracle would let me get my hands on those.

I needed another option.

Then, suddenly, an idea hit me. Grabbing the hem of my long-sleeved shirt, I yanked it over my head, leaving me shivering in just the vest I was wearing underneath. I saw a flash of confusion cross Jace's face, but didn't give him time to dwell on it; within seconds, I started tugging on the fabric until it tore apart at the seams.

His trousers had already been ripped by the bullet, and it didn't take much force to create a hole big enough to get a better look at the wound. A fresh wave of nausea washed over me, but with a deep breath I was able to hold it back once again; I needed to stay calm if I was to have any hope of dealing with this properly.

A whimper of pain escaped him as I lifted his leg. Instantly, I felt guilty, murmuring a soft "Sorry" as I fed the fabric of my torn shirt under his thigh. I pulled it as tight as I could, wrapping the wound in as much as I could spare before attempting to tie a knot with trembling hands.

"Astrid..."

His voice, little more than a mumble, stopped me in my tracks.

I couldn't let on how terrified I was, how easily this illusion of control could slip. That would only panic him, and right now, I needed him in a position where he'd do absolutely anything to pull through. So, trying to keep my voice level, I answered. "Hmm?"

"I have to tell you something..."

My breath caught as I focused on his dark brown eyes, clouded by pain and fear. "What?"

"I have to tell you..." He only managed these few words before having to take another wheezing breath. "What you mean to me... in case I don't make it..."

My heart lurched. "No," I said firmly, without letting him finish. "You're not talking like that. You are going to make it."

I knew this, and I was sure of it – perhaps only because I refused to let my brain believe anything else. If I let the slightest doubt creep in, allowed even the tiniest part of me to consider the possibility that this would be the last conversation we ever had... then anything that happened could be my fault. And I would have to live with it forever.

The knot was tied as tightly as I could manage; I could only hope this would be enough to stop the bleeding. Already, the white fabric had turned almost completely red – but that had to be better than him bleeding out onto the floor.

My first logical action seemed to have worked.

Now I had to stake Jace's life on a second.

"Okay," I said, still trying to conceal the panic in my voice, "do you think maybe you can stand?"

He nodded, but it was far from confident, and I was plagued by doubt even before we'd managed to get his arm slung around my shoulders. As he gripped onto me with all his strength, I attempted to help haul him upwards – but it soon became clear this was a terrible idea. He'd been upright for no longer than a second before letting out a gut-wrenching cry of pain, his weight slumping against me so suddenly I almost toppled over. He was both heavier and taller than me; I was never going to be able to take him alone.